Whether you're selling an apartment in New York City or a Cape Cod in Buffalo, paying 6% in realtor fees is a lot.
That’s why some sellers use a flat fee MLS New York company to list their home on the multiple listing service (MLS) — the main place where realtors find homes to show their clients — in exchange for a small one-time fee.
What’s the catch?
- Less support: You manage your own sale — without a full-service agent to handle pricing, photography, paperwork, and negotiations.
- Lower sales price: For sale by owner (FSBO) homes usually sell for significantly less than homes sold by agents — 6% less on average.
- You still pay a buyer’s agent fee: 88% of buyers work with an agent — who still needs to get paid. In New York, you’re on the hook for 1.66%–3.06% of the final sale price.
If you want to save on fees but aren’t ready for a do-it-yourself experience, Clever can match you with full-service realtors who work for a low flat fee of 1.5%.
Clever is the best alternative to the full DIY approach if you're in New York! You'll save thousands on listing fees, while still getting the support you need to sell your home fast AND for top dollar.
If you’re still interested in finding flat fee MLS listing options in New York, read on! We’ve reviewed the best (and worst) services in The Empire State.
The 4 best New York flat fee MLS companies*
Realmart RealtyRealmart Realty
- You can choose from a lot of different a la carte options, like lockboxes, professional photography, and yard sign upgrades.
- If you decide to go with a full-service broker, you can get a full refund when you sign with someone Realmart referred you to.
- You'll have to pay extra if you want to change any photos after your listing is live on the MLS.
Flat Fee GroupFlat Fee Group
- Listing changes are unlimited and completely free.
- Additional services such as signposts or lockboxes are available for small additional fees.
- There's a mandatory 2-3% buyer's agent commission if one is found.
- Basic packages don't include document or contract reviews, nor will the brokerage offer advice. The seller will mostly be on their own.
Flat Fee RealtyFlat Fee Realty
- Your listing comes with all the state seller's disclosures that you'll need.
- You can pay a little more to post up to 25 photos on the MLS instead of the standard six.
- Flat Fee Realty doesn't offer any pricing or contract assistance.
- The company won't be your listing broker. Instead, they'll refer you to a Montana-based broker who will list your property. If you have problems or questions, you'll end up talking to two companies instead of just one.
- You can fill out, sign, and submit all your seller's paperwork on the Houzeo app.
- When you enter your address, Houzeo auto-fills publicly available data about your property.
- Houzeo lets you buy additional services like contract reviews, agent showings, and professional showings a la carte.
- You have to pay extra for pricing assistance — several local competitors offer this for free.
- You're limited to 10 free changes for price, status, and description in their two most popular packages. Most competitors offer unlimited free changes.
Flat fee MLS New York companies by city
In New York, you'll also find some smaller flat fee MLS companies that specialize in particular cities. These uber-local MLS companies are more likely to offer flexible service packages and bring more area expertise than the big guys.
Every New York flat fee MLS service is different. Always make sure to read the fine print when evaluating offerings to make sure you're getting a fair deal.
Flat fee MLS companies in New York City
In the city that never sleeps, you can find a number of new flat fee MLS listing options. Basic packages are a bit pricier than national companies, costing around $300–400 for an MLS listing, and premium packages can reach up to $1,400.
Flat fee MLS companies in Long Island
With similar offerings as New York City, Long Island has a few unique MLS listing companies to choose from. One even offers a monthly pricing option.
» EXPLORE: The Best Long Island Flat Fee MLS Companies
Flat fee MLS companies in Rochester
Rochester flat fee MLS companies offer a lot of upgraded packages. We found basic flat fee MLS listing packages for as low as $295 and premium flat fee listing plans for $1,299.
» EXPLORE: The Best Rochester Flat Fee MLS Companies
Hidden costs of flat fee MLS New York companies
Some companies claim to offer flat fee MLS listing services but charge hidden fees at closing. We've even seen some companies that claim to offer a free local MLS listing only to charge you a percentage of the sale price at closing.
These predatory practices could cost you thousands of dollars when you expect to pay only a few hundred.
Always make sure to read the fine print for any flat fee MLS listing service. Look out for "closing fees" or "admin fees" that you'll owe the listing broker in addition to an upfront flat fee.
Further, some flat fee MLS listing companies offer à la carte services like photography, paperwork help, and signage. These services can reduce some of your DIY work, but watch out. These add-ons can add up!
At a certain point, you may be better off finding a full-service agent who charges a clear and upfront discounted rate.
Selling your home is difficult, even with a flat-fee MLS company to handle your listing. Add in hidden fees, a la carte services, and premium service tiers, and you'll save a lot less than you planned, but still be stuck with most of the work.
There's a better option. Clever pre-negotiates lower listing fees with top agents in your area. You still save on commission, while getting the support of a full-service agent.
- Clever partner agents offer full-service support for a fraction of the traditional cost: a 1.5% listing fee instead of the typical 2.5-3%
- Choose from the best local agents representing top regional and national brokerages, like Keller Williams and Century 21
Ready to find real estate agents who can help you save thousands on your sale? Enter your zip code below to get started!
What are the alternatives to using a flat fee MLS New York service?
Discount and flat fee real estate agents
Discount real estate brokers will list your property for as little as 1% — but keep in mind that you usually still have to pay a 2.6–3% buyer’s agent fee.
We’ve reviewed five national and regional discount brokers that operate in New York.
In New York, Clever offers low rates, with an added advantage: Clever lets you compare multiple agents from major brands like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX.
Clever matches home sellers like you with pre-vetted, full-service agents for only a 1.5% listing fee. That's half the rate agents typically charge, letting you keep thousands more in your pocket when your home sells..
Your Clever agent will handle everything for you, helping you accurately price your home, get high-quality photography, negotiate with prospective buyers, and complete paperwork.
You'll pay only a little more than you'd pay a flat fee MLS service, but you'll save hours of effort by not having to do everything yourself!
Want to find a top local agent without overpaying on realtor fees? Clever negotiates 1.5% listing fees with top-rated realtors from trusted brokerages like Keller Williams, RE/MAX, and Berkshire Hathaway.
Get guaranteed full service for a fraction of the 3% rate agents typically charge. Schedule a free, no obligation consultation with a top local agent today!
Selling without an MLS listing
It's always possible to try selling your house by owner without listing on the multiple listing service (MLS). But this makes sense only if you already have a potential buyer lined up.
That's because not listing on your local MLS means not getting the most effective exposure for your property. MLS listings are posted to every major real estate website. Plus, real estate agents access MLS listings to find properties for their clients.
If you don't secure an MLS listing, you'll be limited to sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and relying on a yard sign.
Frequently asked questions about flat fee MLS New York companies
How much do flat fee MLS services cost in New York?
Typically, you should expect to pay about $200-300 for a flat fee MLS listing in New York. However, we've seen basic plans for as low as $180. More comprehensive flat fee MLS companies offer services that cost as much as $1,000.
Do I still need to pay the buyer's agent commission?
We strongly recommend offering a commission to the buyer's agent. This will incentivize agents to bring their clients to your home. With a flat fee New York MLS broker, you'll still save money by not paying commission to a listing agent (typically 1.91%–3.31% of the sale price).
How much to offer a buyer's agent is up to you, but their commission in New York typically ranges from 1.66%–3.06%.
How do I sell by owner in New York?
New York real estate laws require sellers to disclose all important information about their property, including:
- Building and safety information
- Environmental information (like erosion, noise pollution, and whether it's in a flood plain)
- Sewer and wastewater treatment
You'll make these disclosures by filling out the Seller’s Property Disclosure Statement. Potential buyers will review this document to make sure the property is free of deal-breaking flaws. You can either get this form from your listing broker or download it directly from the New York state legislature.
What is the best flat fee MLS listing service in New York?
The best flat fee MLS New York company is Realmart Realty, which offers a money-back guarantee to give sellers peace of mind. This flat fee MLS company also provides à la carte services in addition to a flat fee MLS listing, giving sellers the opportunity to customize a package that works for them. Another good option is Flat Fee Group, which gives sellers more support with marketing and listing. Flat Fee Group also allows sellers to make unlimited changes to their flat fee MLS listings.
How do I get access to the MLS in New York?
The multiple listing service (MLS) is accessible to licensed real estate agents and companies in New York. Traditionally, sellers list their homes on the local MLS through an agent. However, flat fee MLS New York companies can list homes for a lower price compared to what a real estate agent charges.
What is a flat fee MLS company?
Flat fee MLS New York companies list homes on the multiple listing service for a fraction of the price a traditional real estate agent charges. These flat fee MLS listing companies are able to charge lower fees by offering less services. If a seller takes advantage of these cost savings, that means they have to handle most of the selling process on their own, including open houses, pricing, and the contract review.