As part of our mission to help consumers make smarter real estate decisions, Clever's Team of Experts and Data Scientists conduct research into real estate, personal finance, and urban development. Find all our latest insights and data below!
JUMP TO SECTION
Studies & Research
Our Research Team has analyzed dozens of public and proprietary data sets to study trends in real estate, personal finance and more. Our work has been featured in major publications including CNBC, Yahoo Finance, the MarketWatch and more.
Featured Study: Recent Home Buyers Experience COVID-19-Induced FearsRead the Study
June 11, 2020
Real Estate, Personal Finance, COVID-19
2020 home buyers are more than twice as likely to report feelings of anxiety and stress than home buyers who bought in the last 5 years, and they're less likely to report feelings of comfort, security, happiness, and pride
Roughly 75% of 2020 home buyers reported feeling concerned about paying their mortgage due to COVID-19-related financial hardships.
In spite of COVID-19 fears, it's still a seller's market. 42% of homeowners who bought during the pandemic reported entering a bidding war
55% of 2020 home buyers reported that at least one person who typically contributes financially to housing costs has lost their job since purchasing their home
63% of home buyers who bought in the beginning of 2020 reported being concerned about their home going underwater compared to 53% of people who bought during the pandemic.
37% of recent homeowners have taken out more than $2,000 in non-mortgage debt since purchasing their home
Nearly one-quarter of recent buyers have less than $1,000 in emergency savings
23% of home buyers who bought during the pandemic reported never entering the home in person, only viewing photos or doing a virtual tour
Regrets of homeownership are largely related to worries about the value of one's home as a result of the pandemic
The data in this report were gathered from an online survey on May 31 through June 2, 2020. The only restriction for participation was that respondents were 18 or older, lived in the United States, and had purchased a home between January and May of 2020.
We collected data from 1,000 homeowners who each answered up to 21 questions (some were dependent on answers to other questions, so not all respondents answered all of the questions).
You can view the results of the survey here.
- 2019 Millennial Home Buyer Report
- Top 20 Cities for Young Home Buyers: Introducing the Millennial Metric
- Exploring Racial Discrimination in Mortgage Lending: A Call for Greater Transparency
- The True Cost of Homeownership: Expectation vs. Reality
- The Role of the Real Estate Agent
- Recent Home Buyers Experience COVID-19-Induced Fears
- How Much You Pay for a Mortgage Depends on Where You Live
- How Paranormal Activity Impacts Home Values
- The True Cost of Commuting
- How the Cost of Raising a Child has Changed Over Time
- How U.S. Health Policy Changes Have Affected Healthcare Costs Over Time
- How COVID-19 Has Financially Impacted Americans
- Cities Where You're Most Likely to Live Paycheck to Paycheck — And Save the Most
- An Unsettling Look into the History of Credit and Financial Literacy in America
- Homeownership Delayed: Unforeseen Consequences of Rising Student Debt
- How COVID-19 Has Financially Impacted Americans: April Update
- The Best and Worst Metros for Commuting via Public Transportation
- Is College Worth It? Ranking the Best and Worst Degrees
- Airbnb's Impact on the Hotel Industry: Insights from 1000 Travelers who Use Both
- Illegal Immigration Linked to Higher Home Values and Reduced Crime
- U.S. Cities That Are the Most Vulnerable to the Effects of COVID-19
- How Has the Mortgage Market Changed Since the Great Recession?
- How Trump's Tweets Affect the Market
Our team of researchers source public datasets and conduct surveys to bring you the most up-to-date information about personal finance, real estate, and the housing market.
Non-commercial use of these data sets is permitted with proper citation with a link to this webpage (https://listwithclever.com/research/)
These data are updated frequently! Make sure you're in the loop - subscribe to the data center newsletter to get alerts when we update our data.
Clever researches people's behaviors, finances, and feelings around buying and selling homes. Find that data here!
COVID-19 Financial Impact Series
The COVID-19 Financial Impact Series is a survey we developed to investigate how the COVID-19-related lockdowns and economic volatility is impacting people's consumer behaviors, personal finances, and the real estate market.
This survey recurs monthly, we will add updates to the data here.
Millennial Homebuyer Reports
Clever Real Estate surveys Americans each January to investigate millennial's plans to purchase a home that year. The questions in the surveys focus on financial stability, savings, expectations, and plans when it comes to buying a home.
Check back in January for more updates!
As a real estate brokerage, we're particularly interested in factors that impact people's ability to buy a home. One common issue is that people just don't have the savings or the credit scores to qualify for a mortgage. Personal debt is a huge contributor to both problems.
Below you can find data to surveys we've conducted investigating the nature of Americans' personal finances and debt.
Housing Market Indicators
Housing market indicators are sourced by Clever Real Estate's research team from a variety of publicly available databases.
For media requests, contact our research team.
Thomas O'Shaughnessy, Head of PR: email@example.com
Francesca Ortegren, Data Scientist: firstname.lastname@example.org