Clever Real Estate, at a glance
- Clever Real Estate is an online concierge and agent matching service available to home sellers and buyers nationwide.
- Clever partners with highly rated agents from major brands and brokerages, such as Keller Williams, Century 21, Compass, RE/MAX, and more.
- Clever provides multiple agent matches so you can interview, compare marketing plans, and choose the right fit for you.
- When you sell with Clever, you'll get full service for a flat $3,000 fee — or just 1% if your home sells for more than $350,000.
- You should also expect to pay a buyer's agent commission. Rates vary, but 2.5-3% is typical nationwide.
- Clever buyers may be eligible for up to 1% back at closing. Buyer rebates are allowed in 40 of 50 U.S. states — additional restrictions may apply.
- Buyers also get full service and support, instant MLS alerts, and on-demand showings.
- Clever is a no-obligation service with no upfront costs or hidden fees. Sellers only pay if and when their home sells. Buyers don't pay any fees at all.
- As of May 20, 2020, Clever has a 5/5 rating on Trustpilot based on 386 customer reviews — see more reviews.
What is Clever Real Estate?
Clever Real Estate is a free service dedicated to helping people make smarter decisions and save money when buying or selling a home.
Clever has three, primary offerings:
- Nationwide agent matching service for sellers with pre-negotiated commission savings
- Nationwide agent matching service for buyers with built-in rebates (in the 40-out-of-50 states that allow them) — learn more
- Free advice and support from its licensed Concierge Team
If you're selling a house, Clever will match you with several top-rated, local agent from top brands or local brokerages conduct interviews, compare, and choose the best fit. These agents have agreed to offer their full range of services and support for a fraction of their typical listing rates:
- Flat $3,000 listing fee for homes under $350,000
- 1% listing fee for homes over $350,000
If you're buying a house, Clever will match you with several top-rated, local agents from major brands or brokerages so you can conduct interviews, compare, and choose the best fit. In addition to full service and support at no charge (sellers typically cover the buyer's agent fee), when you buy with Clever in a qualifying state, you could get a commission rebate of up to 1% back at closing.
A few quick but important notes about Clever's fees:
- You never pay Clever a fee
- Clever sellers pay their Clever Agent only if and when the agent successfully sells their home
- Clever buyers never pay a fee because buyer's agent fees are typically paid by the seller.
Why do real estate agents work with Clever?
One of the biggest expenses for real estate agents is finding new customers. Clever provides a steady stream of introductions to serious, motivated prospective clients, which helps agents spend more time closing deals, as opposed to selling themselves.
In effect, the higher volume of transactions — and zero upfront costs (agents only pay Clever a referral fee if and when a deal closes) — means they can charge less and earn more. Those savings are passed along to sellers and buyers in the form of a reduced commission rate or rebate.
The increased volume of business also helps agents build their brand in their local market. This boost to their stats, visibility, and reputation ultimately helps them get more traditional, full-commission referrals and listings.
Is Clever Real Estate legitimate?
Yes. Clever Real Estate is a licensed, Missouri real estate brokerage and nationwide referral service that helps home sellers and buyers find great agents and save money — and helps real estate agents lower their operating costs and grow their businesses.
Clever's customers benefit from the commission discounts and rebates. As of April 8, 2020, Clever has saved home sellers and buyers more than $25 million in commission fees.
Clever's Partner Agents get a steady stream of new business at zero upfront cost, which boosts their revenue, sales numbers, and visibility within their local market. As of April 8, 2020, more than 8,000 agents nationwide have partnered with Clever to grow their business.
Clever Real Estate reviews
|TrustPilot||5/5 (386 reviews)||See Trustpilot review|
|N/A - no reviews||See Facebook profile|
|Better Business Bureau||A rating||See Clever's BBB profile|
Clever has an average rating of 5/5 rating based on 386 customer reviews on Trustpilot. Clever has an A rating with the Better Business Bureau, with 3 customer reviews.
Selling a house with Clever
When you sell with Clever, you'll be matched with a full-service agent in your area from a major brand or regional brokerage. Instead of the typical 2.5-3% listing fee, you'll pay a flat rate of $3,000 — or 1% if your home is more than $350,000.
You should expect to offer a buyer's agent commission as well to incentivize agents to show your home. Typical buyer's agent commission rates vary by your location and home type, and buyer's agent commission is negotiable — but 2-3% is a common range nationwide.
That brings your total commission fee to approximately 3-4% (the average rate nationwide is 5-6%). In real terms, if you were selling a $400,000 house, you'd save approximately $8,000 compared to what you would've paid with a traditional realtor. See how the fees and savings break down below.
|Clever listing fee||1%||$4,000|
|Buyer's agent fee||2.5%||$10,000|
*Based on a $400,000 home.
**Compared to a 5.5% total commission rate
Clever real estate agents vs traditional realtors
Clever Partner Agents provide you with the same service and support as they do their traditional, full-commission clients. Here's a quick breakdown of typical fees and services for Clever Partner Agents vs traditional realtors.
|Service||Clever Real Estate||Traditional Realtor|
|Listing commission fee||$3,000 or 1%*||2.5-3%|
|Buyer's agent commission**||2.5-3%||2.5-3%|
|Professional home valuation||✓||✓|
|Listing on MLS, Realtor.com, Zillow, and more.||✓||✓|
|Sign in yard||✓||✓|
|Marketing (digital + print)||✓||✓|
|Open houses & showings||✓||✓|
|Help with closing||✓||✓|
*Homes under $350,000 flat $3,000 listing fee — homes over $350,000 pay 1%.
**Buyer's agent commission is negotiable, and typical rates vary by market and home type — 2-3% is common nationwide.
Clever's Concierge Service
Clever also offers free Concierge support for home buyers and sellers. Every member of the Concierge Team is a licensed real estate agent, meaning that in addition to helping you match with the perfect local agent, they're also a secondary resource for guidance and advice throughout the process, from before you hit the market through closing.
Buying a house with Clever
When you buy with Clever, you'll get matched with a local, full-service buyer's agent from a major brand or regional brokerage.
In addition to all of the services you'd expect from a traditional buyer's agent — e.g., showings, help with offers, negotiations, paperwork, closing, etc. — you'll also get:
- Real-Time MLS Alerts: Instant notifications when a home matching your criteria is listed on the MLS.
- On-Demand Showings: Tour any MLS listed home whenever you'd like — see a property in as little as one hour.
- Home Buyer Rebate: If you're buying in a qualifying state, you could get up to 1% back at closing (commission rebates are allowed in 40 of 50 U.S. states — learn more here).
Compare Clever to top alternatives in 2020
Due to its nationwide coverage and competitive model, Clever is a great option for most home sellers and buyers looking to save without sacrificing service. That said, it's always worth evaluating several services before making a final decision.
To help you compare your options, we've compiled basic info on similar services that offer discounted and/or flat commission rates. We recommend reading the full reviews, via the links below, and reaching out to these companies directly to learn more.
|Brokerage||Listing fee||Buyer rebate*|
|Clever Real Estate||1% — $3,000 flat fee for homes under $350,000||Up to 1%|
|Redfin||1-1.5% — minimum fees vary by market||Average $1,500|
|REX Real Estate||2% — $9,000 min fee for homes under $450,00||1-1.5% (only if buying a non-REX home)|
|Redefy||$500 nonrefundable fee up front + $3,000 at closing||N/A|
*In states where buyer rebates are legal.
It's also worth exploring other home selling approaches before choosing to list with a discount brokerage. Here are some additional resources to help you understand all of your options so you can make a more informed decision.
- Flat-fee MLS services
- iBuyer services
- We Buy Houses for Cash companies
- Selling for sale by owner (FSBO)
- Flat-fee real estate agents
Next steps: Talk to a real estate expert
If you're looking to buy or sell a house and weighing your options, Clever can help!
Our fully Licensed Concierge Team is standing by to answer your questions and offer free, objective advice about how to sell your home, given your specific goals and situation.
Give us a call at 1-833-2-CLEVER, or contact us via the form below.
>> BACK to the top of this page