Best 'we buy houses' companies in Michigan | What are 'we buy houses' companies? | How do they work | Alternatives | FAQ
If you're looking for the fastest way to sell a home, "we buy houses" companies in Michigan are a good option. Also known as "we buy ugly houses" companies or cash home buyers, these companies can provide a cash offer in only a day and close in just a matter of days or weeks, with no closing costs. But they typically pay only 70% of the fair market value for the home.
We chose Express Homebuyers as the top "we buy houses" company in Michigan for its near-instant offers, provided in just a few minutes. Express Homebuyers can also close in just one week, which is faster than many other companies. Get offers from several of the cash home buyers listed below before making a final decision.
Top 'we buy houses' companies in Michigan
- Express Homebuyers: Fast offers and closing date
- We Buy Houses: Nationally recognized brand
- We Buy Ugly Houses: Major investors, local buyers
- I Buy Michigan Homes: Excellent reviews
- Steve Moves Michigan: Specializes in Detroit homes
If you have a Michigan house in good condition, you’ll likely earn more by selling with a real estate agent. It'll take a bit longer to sell, but the extra money could be worth the wait. Whatever you choose, explore all of your options first.
To easily compare your options, try Clever Offers. With Clever Offers, a local agent shops for cash offers from the top "we buy houses" companies in Michigan on your behalf. You also get a professional home valuation so you know what your home is REALLY worth. Your agent can help you compare cash offers, negotiate to get a fair price, or list your home on the open market if you want more money.
Best companies that buy houses for cash in Michigan
To find the best cash home buyers in Michigan, we compared offer times, closing date windows, local market knowledge, and company reputation according to customer reviews.
Here's our advice for working with "we buy houses" companies:
- Contact multiple companies to compare offers
- Read contracts carefully
- Don’t pay for anything up front
- If you don't think an offer is fair, walk away
Time to Offer
Time to Sale
Express Homebuyers is really fast: it provides offers in just minutes and can close in just a week in many circumstances. Plus, the company has mostly positive reviews on Google.
Express Homebuyers is a national service that has partnered with local investors across the country to buy houses for cash.
Steps to sell with Express Homebuyers:
- Submit your home's information to receive an initial "as is" offer
- Meet with the local investor to assess your property and answer any questions
- Discuss the local investor's final cash offer and, if you're willing to sell, sign a sales agreement then and there
- Choose a closing day on your schedule
- Show up on the day of the sale to sign the paperwork and receive cash within hours
Express Homebuyers has partnered with local investors in the following states:
Express Home Buyers received an average of 3.7 stars from 261 customer reviews. It's accredited by the Better Business Bureau, and it has a B+ rating.
Google: 4.2 stars/122 reviews
Facebook: 4.6 stars/113 reviews
Yelp: 2.5 stars/26 reviews
Time to offer
Time to sale
We Buy Houses vets all of its investors and gives them an exclusive license to operate in its territory, so investors who use the brand name have an incentive to work hard in order to maintain their advantage. The company provides offers in just one to two days and can close in a few weeks.
We Buy Houses is a national property investor that buys homes for cash throughout the U.S. To sell your home to We Buy Houses, you can:
- Submit an online form, giving details about your property
- Set up an appointment for an investor to view your home
- Receive a no-obligation offer
- Choose a closing date and sell your home
We Buy Houses operates in 200 markets in over 30 states.
Reviews online are available only for local franchises.
The vast majority are positive, with customers saying that the We Buy Houses investor they worked with was fast and professional.
Time to offer
Time to sale
We Buy Ugly Houses is a nationally recognized brand with a solid reputation. The company has over 800 franchises across the U.S., so be sure to check reviews for the individual location you plan to contact.
We Buy Ugly Houses is a property investor that buys homes for cash in over 800 locations across the U.S. To sell your home to We Buy Ugly Houses you can:
- Submit information about your property online or by phone and set up an appointment for an investor to see your home
- Show your home to the investor and receive a no-obligation offer
- Set a closing date on your own schedule as soon as 3 weeks after accepting the offer
We Buy Ugly Houses has over 800 independently owned and operated franchises across 47 states and Washington, DC.
We Buy Ugly Houses's parent company, Homevestors, has an A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau. No other third-party reviews are available at this time.
This rating is based on overall national data. Research local franchises for specific reviews that reflect their quality of service.
Time to Offer
Time to Sale
I Buy Michigan Homes is a local buyer that understands the Michigan real estate market. This makes it an excellent option for an offer to compare against other cash buyers.
I Buy Michigan Homes is a local, Michigan property investor that buys homes for cash in select cities across the state. To sell your home to I Buy Michigan Homes, you can:
- Fill out the online form or call directly to provide basic home details - number of bedrooms, bathrooms, etc
- Schedule an in-person assessment and show the property
- Receive an offer either on-site or within 48 hours
I Buy Michigan Homes operates within Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Washtenaw, Livingston and Genessee counties.
I Buy Michigan Homes received an average of 5 stars from 2 customer reviews.
Google: 5 stars/2 reviews
Time to Offer
Time to Sale
Steve Moves Michigan is a local buyer and a great option for finding another cash offer to compare.
Steve Moves Michigan is a local, Detroit-based Michigan property investor that buys homes for cash across the state. To sell your home to Steve Moves Michigan, you can:
- Convey information about your property via a form or phone call to receive an initial offer
- If your home meets their buying criteria, schedule an in-person appointment to receive a final cash offer
- Expect to close in as little as seven days, or on your schedule
Steve Moves Michigan is based in Detroit, but buys homes across the entire state of Michigan.
Steve Moves Michigan received an average of 3.4 stars from 27 customer reviews. It's not accredited by the Better Business Bureau but it has a B- rating.
Google: 5 stars/1 reviews
Facebook: 4.2 stars/22 reviews
Yelp: 1 stars/4 reviews
What is a 'we buy houses' company?
"We buy houses" companies are backed by investors. These investors purchase homes to fix and resell for a profit. They buy homes in as-is condition — without any repairs or prep — and pay in cash.
The home buying process for "we buy houses" companies is different from a traditional sale. Since cash buyer companies typically pay only up to 70% of the home's value, some people wonder if "we buy houses" companies are a scam.
But these companies have little incentive to scam sellers. They're investors who rely on their reputation to close deals. However, they are motivated by profit. They make lower offers so they can pay for renovations and still turn a profit when they resell.
»MORE: Are "we buy houses" companies a rip-off?
How do 'we buy houses' companies work?
Details vary, but all "we buy houses" companies in Michigan share the same basic business model:
- A home seller reaches out directly to a cash buyer company.
- The company assesses the property, considering factors like necessary repairs and potential resale value.
- The company makes an as-is cash offer based on the time and money it'll need to invest in the property.
- If the homeowner accepts, the deal closes quickly. There's no need to negotiate, wait for financing approval, or inspect and appraise the property.
- The cash buyer repairs the home and resells it for a profit.
Alternatives to 'we buy houses' companies in Michigan
If the offers you get from "we buy houses" companies are too low, you have other options to sell your home. The best option for you depends on your home's condition and how much time you have to sell.
Get cash offers with Clever
If you need to sell your home quickly in Michigan, consider working with a real estate agent who can protect your best interests and maximize your sale price.
When you work with a local Clever agent, they can request cash offers on your behalf from companies that buy houses.
Your agent will present the offers to you, help you understand the pros and cons of each one, AND help you negotiate with cash buyer companies.
They'll also give you a free home estimate so you know what your home is REALLY worth on the open market. This estimate can help you decide if selling to a cash buyer company is worth it or if you'd rather list with an agent for maximum value.
Sell to an iBuyer
Selling to an iBuyer may be a good option if your home is in great condition and you need to sell within a few weeks. In Michigan, you can consider iBuyers like Opendoor. These companies provide instant cash offers that are typically much closer to market value than an offer from a "we buy houses" company.
There are pros and cons to working with an iBuyer. For example, selling to an iBuyer is convenient, but they charge a service fee of 5% or more. You'd also need to pay 1–3% in closing costs plus the cost of any repairs the iBuyer requests. Before deciding, estimate your total earnings from selling to an iBuyer to see if it's worth it.
»LEARN: Should I sell to an iBuyer?
Note: Time to offer, time to sale, reviews, and other data points are current as of when this article was last updated.
Frequently asked questions
Do you pay closing costs in Michigan when selling to a 'we buy houses' company?
You likely won't have any closing costs to pay when selling to a "we buy houses" company in Michigan. However, these companies only pay 50–70% of the home's after-repair value, so the money you save on closing costs won't make up for the low offer price.
Are 'we buy houses' companies in Michigan a ripoff?
In general, "we buy houses" companies in Michigan are not out to scam you. These companies rely on their reputation to close deals, so there is little incentive to scam people. However, "we buy houses" companies pay much less than selling your home on the open market (as little as 50%), so they're only worth it if you need to sell a house in bad condition quickly.