Real estate trends in Massachusetts | Sellers | Buyers | Investors | The best and worst of Massachusetts | Massachusetts resources
Massachusetts real estate trends (May 2022)
How is the real estate market in Massachusetts?
🏠 Average home value: $558,313
📈 0.29% home value increase month over month
💰 Median sale price: $524,100
⏳ 35 days on the market
🔑 Homes on the market: 5,238
📆 2.9 months of housing inventory
🏦 30-year mortgage rate: 5.38000%
💵 Average income: #N/A
State of the market: A-
Despite the faster sales, homes are selling a little below their values and inventory in Massachusetts is increasing. These may be indicators that the market in the state is slowly cooling off.
*Data last updated May 2022
From the rolling Berkshires in the west to Boston's fresh ocean breezes, Massachusetts offers plenty of opportunities to experience New England's unique landscape and culture.
Technically a commonwealth, the Bay State is known around the world for its high concentration of universities and outstanding seafood.
Though it gets an average of 47 inches of snow per year, Massachusetts has a surprisingly mild climate, with weather that rarely dips below freezing or above 91 degrees.
If you're thinking of buying or selling in Massachusetts, these Massachusetts housing predictions and stats can help you make an informed decision.
Want to save money when you buy or sell your home? With Clever, you'll only pay 1.5% or $3K in listing fees. Eligible buyers get cash back after closing. Find out how much you can save with Clever today!
Selling a home in Massachusetts
Massachusetts real estate market forecast for sellers
⏰ Homes are selling 9 days slower than the annual average
💰 Homes are selling for $53,142 more than the annual average
💸 Average listing commission: 2.58%
💸 Average buyer's commission: 2.27%
How to sell a home in Massachusetts
- The Best Low Commission Real Estate Brokers
- Top Real Estate Agents in Massachusetts (June 2021 Rankings)
- 8 Steps to Selling a House in Massachusetts
- How to Sell a House By Owner in Massachusetts (2021 Update)
- 4 Best Massachusetts Flat-Fee MLS Companies in 2021
- 5 Massachusetts We Buy Houses for Cash Companies & Alternatives (2021 Rankings)
Cost to sell a home in Massachusetts
- The Average Massachusetts Real Estate Commission (2021)
- Massachusetts Seller Closing Costs in 2021: How Much Will You Pay?
Buying a home in Massachusetts
How much home you can buy with $300,000 in...
🏠 Boston: 698 sq ft
🏡 Springfield: 1,408 sq ft
🏡 Worcester: 1,136 sq ft
🏠 Pittsfield: 1,195 sq ft
- How to Save with a Home Buyer Rebate
- 8 Definitive Steps to Buying a House in Massachusetts
- The 5 Most Affordable Places to Live In Massachusetts
- The Best Time to Buy a House in Massachusetts
Investing in Massachusetts real estate
- Top 5 Best Real Estate Investment Markets in Massachusetts
- How to Buy a Foreclosed Home in Massachusetts
- The Ultimate Guide to Flipping Houses in Massachusetts
- A Beginner's Guide to Buying an Apartment Building
Best of Massachusetts
💡 Did you know…
Boston has about 22 coffee shops per capita to match the taste preferences of all Bostonians. It was even the birthplace of one of the nation's most popular coffee chains, Dunkin' Donuts!
» Thirsty for more info? ☕ Read our full study here: The Best Coffee Cities in America
Each month, we compare locations in Massachusetts based on different criteria. This month, we're looking at levels of happiness and ranking the best counties in the state.
Happiest Counties in Massachusetts
1. Middlesex County
2. Norfolk County
3. Essex County
4. Suffolk County
5. Plymouth County
Ready to buy a home in Massachusetts? Eligible buyers get cash back with Clever!
Worst of Massachusetts
Each month, we compare locations in Massachusetts based on a different criteria. This month we're looking at levels of happiness data. These are the counties that ranked the worst in the state.
Least Happy Counties in Massachusetts
1. Nantucket County
2. Hampden County
3. Bristol County
4. Dukes County
5. Barnstable County
- Massachusetts Board of Registration of Real Estate Brokers and Salespersons
- Massachusetts's real estate license verification
- Massachusetts's real estate agent code of conduct
- Massachusetts's disclosure forms
- Transfer taxes in Massachusetts
- Home buying assistance programs in Massachusetts
Frequently asked questions about Massachusetts real estate
It is currently a seller’s market in Massachusetts. Demand is high in the state, driving sales prices up. However, take note that each city and town is different, which is why it’s best to work with a top real estate agent that understands the actual market trends in your area.
Yes, Massachusetts is a good place to invest in real estate, especially in bigger cities like Boston and Worcester. However, if you want to maximize your investment, you will first need to research which neighborhoods to buy in and how to manage the properties. Find out more in our guide to real estate investing.
It might not be the best time to purchase a house in Massachusetts, as listing prices and mortgage rates are higher than normal. If you’re determined to buy, then work with a top real estate agent to help you find a good deal.
Clever's analysis of state market trends is based on local data from Zillow, realtor.com, Redfin, Bankrate, the U.S. Census, and Clever surveys. Our team of over 20 real estate analysts from across the country research local markets and data to compile our "Best" and "Worst" rankings.