If you're looking for the fastest way to sell a home, "we buy houses" companies in Virginia are a good option. Also known as "we buy ugly houses" companies or cash home buyers, these companies can provide a cash offer in only a day and close in just a matter of days or weeks, with no closing costs. But they typically pay only 70% of the fair market value for the home.
Our top pick for "we buy houses" companies in Virginia is Clever Offers. With Clever Offers, a concierge will collect details about your home to bring you cash offers from the top "we buy houses" companies in Virginia. You'll also get a professional home valuation from a local real estate agent so you know what your home is worth on the open market.
Top 'we buy houses' companies in Virginia
If you have a Virginia house in good condition, you’ll likely earn more by selling with a real estate agent. It'll take a bit longer to sell, but the extra money could be worth the wait. Whatever you choose, explore all of your options first.
Best companies that buy houses for cash in Virginia
To find the best cash home buyers in Virginia, we compared offer times, closing date windows, local market knowledge, and company reputation according to customer reviews.
Here's our advice for working with "we buy houses" companies:
- Contact multiple companies to compare offers
- Read contracts carefully
- Don’t pay for anything up front
- If you don't think an offer is fair, walk away
Clever OffersGet Offers
Time to Offer
Time to Sale
Clever Offers is an easy way to compare multiple cash offers at once so you can get the most money for your home. Clever will also provide a free home value estimate so you know what your home is worth on the open market. Then you can decide if selling to a cash buyer company is worth it or if you'd rather list with an agent for maximum value.
Clever Offers provides you with fair cash offers from top institutional buyers, local and regional real estate investment firms, and more.
Steps to sell with Clever Offers:
- Fill out an online form with a few details about your home.
- Answer questions about your selling timeframe and the condition of your home.
- Sit back and relax while your Clever Home Concierge collects multiple cash offers on your behalf.
- Choose to accept an offer, ask the Concierge to look for better offers, or work with a top local agent to sell on the open market for just 1.5% commission.
Clever Offers is available in all 50 states and Washington, DC.
Time to Offer
Time to Sale
Express Homebuyers is really fast: it provides offers in just minutes and can close in just a week in many circumstances. Plus, the company has mostly positive reviews on Google.
Express Homebuyers is a national service that has partnered with local investors across the country to buy houses for cash.
Steps to sell with Express Homebuyers:
- Submit your home's information to receive an initial "as is" offer
- Meet with the local investor to assess your property and answer any questions
- Discuss the local investor's final cash offer and, if you're willing to sell, sign a sales agreement then and there
- Choose a closing day on your schedule
- Show up on the day of the sale to sign the paperwork and receive cash within hours
Express Homebuyers has partnered with local investors in the following states:
Express Home Buyers received an average of 3.7 stars from 261 customer reviews. It's accredited by the Better Business Bureau, and it has a B+ rating.
Google: 4.2 stars/122 reviews
Facebook: 4.6 stars/113 reviews
Yelp: 2.5 stars/26 reviews
Home Investors of AmericaWebsite
Time to Offer
Time to Sale
We picked Home Investors of America because it's a local buyer that understands the details of the real estate market in Virginia communities.
Home Investors of America is a local, Virginia property investor that buys homes for cash in select cities across the state. To sell your home to Home Investors of America you can:
- Submit your property information by phone or online
- Set up an appointment with an investor to show your home, after which you may be presented with a no-obligation offer
- Set a closing date for you home in as little as 7 days
Home Investors of America buys homes in the following areas: Orange, Culpeper, Spotsylvania, Caroline, King George, Fredericksburg City, Stafford, Fauquier, Prince William, Alexandria, Fairfax, Hampton Roads, Suffolk, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake & Portsmouth.
Home Investors of America received an average of 2.7 stars from 7 customer reviews. It's not accredited by the Better Business Bureau but it has an A+ rating.
Google: 2.7 stars/7 reviews
We Buy Ugly HousesFull review
Time to offer
Time to sale
We Buy Ugly Houses is a nationally recognized brand with a solid reputation. The company has over 800 franchises across the U.S., so be sure to check reviews for the individual location you plan to contact.
We Buy Ugly Houses is a property investor that buys homes for cash in over 800 locations across the U.S. To sell your home to We Buy Ugly Houses you can:
- Submit information about your property online or by phone and set up an appointment for an investor to see your home
- Show your home to the investor and receive a no-obligation offer
- Set a closing date on your own schedule as soon as 3 weeks after accepting the offer
We Buy Ugly Houses has over 800 independently owned and operated franchises across 47 states and Washington, DC.
We Buy Ugly Houses's parent company, Homevestors, has an A+ rating on the Better Business Bureau. No other third-party reviews are available at this time.
This rating is based on overall national data. Research local franchises for specific reviews that reflect their quality of service.
We Buy HousesWebsite
Time to offer
Time to sale
We Buy Houses vets all of its investors and gives them an exclusive license to operate in its territory, so investors who use the brand name have an incentive to work hard in order to maintain their advantage. The company provides offers in just one to two days and can close in a few weeks.
We Buy Houses is a national property investor that buys homes for cash throughout the U.S. To sell your home to We Buy Houses, you can:
- Submit an online form, giving details about your property
- Set up an appointment for an investor to view your home
- Receive a no-obligation offer
- Choose a closing date and sell your home
We Buy Houses operates in 200 markets in over 30 states.
Reviews online are available only for local franchises.
The vast majority are positive, with customers saying that the We Buy Houses investor they worked with was fast and professional.
Virginia Home BuyersWebsite
Time to Offer
Time to Sale
We included Virginia Home Buyers in our list of top "we buy houses" companies because it's a local buyer that can close in just three days in some cases – less than half the time of many other cash buyers.
Virginia Home Buyers is a local, Virginia property investor that buys homes for cash in select cities across the state. To sell your home to Virginia Home Buyers you can:
- Submit your property information on the Virginia Home buyers or by phone
- Receive a no-obligation offer on your home
- Choose a closing date as soon as three days after accepting the offer
Virginia Home Buyers purchases homes for cash in the following areas: Orange, Culpeper, Spotsylvania, Caroline, King George, Fredericksburg City, Stafford, Fauquier, Prince William, Alexandria, Fairfax, Hampton Roads, Suffolk, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake & Portsmouth
Virginia Home Buyers received an average of 2.5 stars from 19 customer reviews.
Google: 4.1 stars/17 reviews
Yelp: 1 star/2 reviews
What is a 'we buy houses' company?
"We buy houses" companies are backed by investors. These investors purchase homes to fix and resell for a profit. They buy homes in as-is condition — without any repairs or prep — and pay in cash.
The home buying process for "we buy houses" companies is different from a traditional sale. Since cash buyer companies typically pay only up to 70% of the home's value, some people wonder if "we buy houses" companies are a scam.
But these companies have little incentive to scam sellers. They're investors who rely on their reputation to close deals. However, they are motivated by profit. They make lower offers so they can pay for renovations and still turn a profit when they resell.
How do 'we buy houses' companies work?
Details vary, but all "we buy houses" companies in Virginia share the same basic business model:
- A home seller reaches out directly to a cash buyer company.
- The company assesses the property, considering factors like necessary repairs and potential resale value.
- The company makes an as-is cash offer based on the time and money it'll need to invest in the property.
- If the homeowner accepts, the deal closes quickly. There's no need to negotiate, wait for financing approval, or inspect and appraise the property.
- The cash buyer repairs the home and resells it for a profit.
Compare offers from top cash buyers to the sale price you'd get with an agent.
Alternative to 'we buy houses' companies in Virginia
If the offers you get from "we buy houses" companies are too low, you have other options to sell your home. The best option for you depends on your home's condition and how much time you have to sell.
Sell to an iBuyer
Selling to an iBuyer may be a good option if your home is in great condition and you need to sell within a few weeks. In Virginia, you can consider iBuyers like Opendoor. These companies provide instant cash offers that are typically much closer to market value than an offer from a "we buy houses" company.
There are pros and cons to working with an iBuyer. For example, selling to an iBuyer is convenient, but they charge a service fee of 5% or more. You'd also need to pay 1–3% in closing costs plus the cost of any repairs the iBuyer requests. Before deciding, estimate your total earnings from selling to an iBuyer to see if it's worth it.
»LEARN: Should I sell to an iBuyer?
Note: Time to offer, time to sale, reviews, and other data points are current as of when this article was last updated.
Frequently asked questions
Can I sell my house without a realtor in Virginia?
Yes, you can sell your house to a "we buy houses" company in Virginia without a real estate agent. However, these companies will pay as little as 50% of the home's value. You could also sell on the open market for sale by owner in Virginia, but this is a lot of work. The best way to make the most money is to use a local realtor.
Do I need an attorney to sell a house in Virginia?
No, an attorney is not required by law to sell a home in Virginia. However, you may find the advice of an attorney helpful if you're selling to a "we buy houses" company.
Additional resources for home sellers in Virginia