Iowa real estate trends (July 2021)
How is the real estate market in Iowa?
🏠 Average home value: $165,562
📈 0.74% home value increase month over month
💰 Median sale price: $241,000
⏳ 69 days on the market
🔑 Homes on the market: 7,947
📆 0.8 months of housing inventory
🏦 30-year mortgage rate: 2.90%
💵 Average income: $60,523
State of the market: B-
Although home values are lower than average in Iowa, low inventory and even lower interest rates are keeping the market going and causing listing prices to rise.
*Data last updated July 2021
Once every four years, all eyes turn to Iowa for its famous political Caucus, where voters cast their support for presidential candidates.
Outside the spotlight, residents enjoy the perks of living in Iowa year-round. Its biggest cities include Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and Davenport — and Iowa's nearly 53,000 acres of hiking trails, campsites, and bike paths offer plenty of opportunities to enjoy outdoor living.
If you're thinking of buying or selling in Iowa, these Iowa housing predictions and stats can help you make an informed decision.
Want to save money when you buy or sell your home? With Clever, you'll only pay 1% or $3K in listing fees. Eligible buyers get 0.5% cash back after closing. Find out how much you can save with Clever today!
Selling a home in Iowa
Iowa real estate market forecast for sellers
⏰ Homes are selling 19.5 days faster than the annual average
💰 Homes are selling for $1,227 less than the annual average
💸 Average listing commission: 3.06%
💸 Average buyer's commission: 2.84%
How to sell a home in Iowa
- The Best Low Commission Real Estate Brokers
- Top Real Estate Agents in Iowa (June 2021 Rankings)
- 8 Steps to Selling a House in Iowa
- How to Sell a House By Owner in Iowa (2021 Update)
- 4 Best Iowa Flat-Fee MLS Companies in 2021
- 5 Iowa We Buy Houses for Cash Companies & Alternatives (2021 Rankings)
Cost to sell a home in Iowa
Buying a home in Iowa
How much home you can buy with $300,000 in...
🏠 Des Moines: 1,504 sq ft
🏡 Cedar Rapids: 2,427 sq ft
🏡 Davenport: 2,930 sq ft
🏠 Waterloo: 2,457 sq ft
- How to Save with a Home Buyer Rebate
- 8 Definitive Steps to Buying a House in Iowa
- The Best Time to Buy a House in Iowa
- The Ultimate Guide for Moving to Iowa
Investing in Iowa real estate
- Top 5 Best Real Estate Investment Markets in Iowa
- The Ultimate Guide to Flipping Houses in Iowa
- A Beginner's Guide to Buying an Apartment Building
Best of Iowa
Each month, we compare cities in Iowa based on different criteria. This month, we're looking at affordability and ranking the best cities in the state.
Most Affordable Cities in Iowa
1. Davenport-Moline-Rock Island
2. Sioux City
3. Waterloo-Cedar Falls
Worst of Iowa
Each month, we compare cities in Iowa based on a different criteria. This month we're looking at affordability data. These are the cities that ranked the worst in the state.
Least Affordable Cities in Iowa
1. Iowa City
2. Des Moines-West Des Moines
3. Cedar Rapids
- The Iowa Professional Licensing & Regulation Bureau | Real Estate Commission
- Iowa's real estate license verification
- Iowa's real estate agent code of conduct
- Iowa's disclosure forms
- Transfer taxes in Iowa
- Home buying assistance programs in Iowa
Clever's analysis of state market trends is based on local data from Zillow, realtor.com, Redfin, S&P Global, the U.S. Census, and Clever surveys. Our team of over 20 real estate analysts from across the country research local markets and data to compile our "Best" and "Worst" rankings.