Whether you're selling a beach house on Hilton Head Island or a townhouse in downtown Greenville, paying 6% in realtor fees is a lot.
That’s why some sellers use a flat fee MLS South Carolina company to list their home on the multiple listing service (MLS) — the main place where realtors find homes to show their clients — in exchange for a small one-time fee.
What’s the catch?
- Less support: You manage your own sale — without a full-service agent to handle pricing, photography, paperwork, and negotiations.
- Lower sales price: For sale by owner (FSBO) homes usually sell for significantly less than homes sold by agents — 6% less on average.
- You still pay a buyer’s agent fee: 88% of buyers work with an agent — who still needs to get paid. In South Carolina, you’re on the hook for 2.60% to 3.01% of the final sale price.
If you want to save on fees but aren’t ready for a do-it-yourself experience, Clever can match you with full-service realtors who work for a low flat fee of 1.5%.
Clever is the best alternative to the full DIY approach if you're in South Carolina! You'll save thousands on listing fees, while still getting the support you need to sell your home fast AND for top dollar.
If you’re still interested in finding South Carolina flat fee MLS listing companies, read on! We’ve reviewed the best (and worst) services in The Palmetto State.
The 5 best flat fee MLS South Carolina companies*
Carolina Realty SolutionsCarolina Realty Solutions
- Includes access to Showingtime, an app Realtors use to schedule showings. Many flat-fee MLS companies either don't offer or charge extra for this service.
- You can extend your listing for up to two years without paying an extra listing fee.
- You'll get both a yard sign and a key lockbox — even with the cheapest package.
- Carolina Realty Solutions doesn't currently offer flat fee MLS services to Alexander, Burke, Caldwell, Catawba, and Cleveland counties.
iSave RealtyiSave Realty
- The base package comes with a 12-month listing term. This could be helpful if you think your home could take some time to sell.
- The gold package includes a lot of input from the broker like contract reviews, advertising assistance, and help with sales contracts.
- It's unclear if iSave Realty charges you to make changes to your MLS listing.
South Carolina Flat Fee MLSSouth Carolina Flat Fee MLS
- Even though the packages are cheap, you still get the same basic services (like a six month listing, six photos, and all the state-required forms) that other, more expensive companies offer.
- If you go with the upgraded package, you can get an upgraded listing with a virtual tour on Realtor.com.
- Free changes only include the status, not the listing information or pictures.
United Brokers LTDUnited Brokers LTD
- You can get the basic bundle for cheaper than many other companies if you don't need much additional support from the broker.
- For an extra fee, you can add a virtual tour to your MLS listing.
- If you buy the basic package, any changes to your listing cost $10 each, but free changes to your price, status, and description are included in the Standard, Enhanced, and Full-Service bundles.
- You can e-sign forms only if you sign up for the Full-Service bundle ($875).
List With FreedomList With Freedom
- If you know exactly what you need, you can go with a cheaper package and buy the extras on their own.
- There's no cancellation fee for live listings.
- You can pay a little more for showing and open house assistance.
- There's only one photo included in the base package.
- List With Freedom offers no built-in pricing support or home valuation.
Flat fee MLS companies in South Carolina by city
In South Carolina, you'll also find some smaller flat fee MLS companies that specialize in particular cities. These uber-local flat fee MLS services are more likely to offer flexible service packages and bring more area expertise than the big guys.
Every South Carolina flat fee MLS service is different. Always make sure to read the fine print when evaluating offerings to make sure you're getting a fair deal.
Flat fee MLS South Carolina companies in Greenville
We found that flat fee MLS companies in Greenville vary widely — both in price and services. You can find packages from $250 to $2,000, with a lot of à la carte options to help you sell your property.
» EXPLORE: The Best Greenville Flat Fee MLS Companies
Hidden costs of flat fee MLS companies
Some companies claim to offer flat fee MLS services but charge hidden fees at closing. We've even seen some companies that claim to offer a free local MLS listing only to charge you a percentage of the sale price at closing.
These predatory practices could cost you thousands of dollars when you expect to pay only a few hundred.
Always make sure to read the fine print for any flat fee listing service. Look out for "closing fees" or "admin fees" that you'll owe the broker in addition to an upfront flat fee.
Further, some flat fee MLS South Carolina companies offer à la carte services like photography, paperwork help, and signage. These services can reduce some of your DIY work, but watch out. These add-ons can add up!
At a certain point, you may be better off finding a full-service agent who charges a clear and upfront discounted rate.
Selling your home is difficult, even with a flat-fee MLS company to handle your listing. Add in hidden fees, a la carte services, and premium service tiers, and you'll save a lot less than you planned, but still be stuck with most of the work.
There's a better option. Clever pre-negotiates lower listing fees with top agents in your area. You still save on commission, while getting the support of a full-service agent.
- Clever partner agents offer full-service support for a fraction of the traditional cost: a 1.5% listing fee instead of the typical 2.5-3%
- Choose from the best local agents representing top regional and national brokerages, like Keller Williams and Century 21
Ready to find real estate agents who can help you save thousands on your sale? Enter your zip code below to get started!
What are the alternatives to using a flat fee MLS South Carolina service?
Discount and flat fee real estate agents
Discount real estate brokers will list your property for as little as 1% — but keep in mind that you usually still have to pay a 2.6–3% buyer’s agent fee.
We’ve reviewed four national and regional discount brokers that operate in South Carolina.
In South Carolina, Clever offers low rates, with an added advantage: Clever lets you compare multiple agents from major brands like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX.
Clever matches home sellers like you with pre-vetted, full-service agents for only a 1.5% listing fee. That's half the rate agents typically charge, letting you keep thousands more in your pocket when your home sells.
Your Clever agent will handle everything for you, helping you accurately price your home, get high-quality photography, negotiate with prospective buyers, and complete paperwork.
You'll pay only a little more than you'd pay a flat fee MLS service, but you'll save hours of effort by not having to do everything yourself!
Want to find a top local agent without overpaying on realtor fees? Clever negotiates 1.5% listing fees with top-rated realtors from trusted brokerages like Keller Williams, RE/MAX, and Berkshire Hathaway.
Get guaranteed full service for a fraction of the 3% rate agents typically charge. Schedule a free, no obligation consultation with a top local agent today!
Selling without an MLS listing
It's always possible to try selling your house by owner without listing on the MLS. But this makes sense only if you already have a potential buyer lined up.
That's because not listing on your local MLS means not getting the most effective exposure for your property. MLS listings are posted to every major real estate website. Plus, real estate agents access MLS listings to find properties for their clients.
If you don't secure an MLS listing, you'll be limited to sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and relying on a yard sign.
iBuyers are companies that buy homes for cash outright at what they claim are market prices. When you sell to an iBuyer, you could have a preliminary offer in as little as 24 hours.
The major downside of selling to an iBuyer is that these companies make money by charging steep service fees — typically 5–14% of the purchase price. So they're a good alternative only for sellers more concerned with convenience and speed than costs.
There is currently only one iBuyer operating in South Carolina. Click below to learn more.
|iBuyer||South Carolina market||Fees||Review|
Frequently asked questions about flat fee MLS South Carolina companies
How much do flat fee MLS services cost in South Carolina?
Typically, you can expect to pay about $100-400 for a flat fee MLS listing in South Carolina. However, we've seen basic plans for as low as $89 and more comprehensive services that charge as much as $875.
Do I still need to pay the buyer's agent commission?
We strongly recommend offering a commission to the buyer's agent. This will incentivize agents to bring their clients to your home. With a flat fee South Carolina MLS broker, you'll still save money by not paying commission to a listing agent (typically 2.62%–3.03% of the sale price).
How much to offer a buyer's agent is up to you, but their commission in South Carolina typically ranges from 2.60%–3.01%.
How do I sell by owner in South Carolina?
South Carolina real estate laws require sellers to disclose all important information about their property, including:
- Water supply and sewer systems
- Structure details and changes
- Mechanical systems (plumbing, electrical, heating, and cooling)
- Present insect infestations or past infestation damage that hasn't been repaired
- Zoning and land-use restrictions
- Environmental issues
- If the property is used as a rental property
- Meter conservation charges
The South Carolina Association of REALTORS® uses the Residential Seller's Property Disclosure Statement (SPDS) to document all this information. You can download the form directly from the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation.
What is the best flat fee MLS listing service in South Carolina?
The best flat fee MLS South Carolina service is Carolina Realty Solutions. This company offers convenient flat fee services and packages to make the selling process a bit easier. Experienced sellers could also consider iSave Realty and South Carolina Flat Fee MLS, which both feature lower-priced, no-frills flat fee listing packages.
How do I get access to the MLS in South Carolina?
To access the local MLS in South Carolina, sellers typically use a licensed real estate agent. Using a flat fee MLS South Carolina company is another way to get your home listed on the local MLS. This option costs a fraction of what a real estate agent charges, but it also means a lot more work for the seller, since these companies don't offer the same level of service as a realtor.
What is a flat fee MLS company?
A flat fee MLS listing company will list your home on the local multiple listing service (MLS) to increase the home's visibility to potential buyers. Flat fee MLS South Carolina companies offer this service for a much lower price than it would cost to get a real estate agent to do it for you. However, the cost savings of a flat fee MLS listing come with a price: sellers have to take on tasks normally done by an agent, including strategic pricing and marketing.