Getting ready to sell your New Jersey home? Here’s how long you can expect it to take — and some tips on how to speed things up (and still get a great price).
Updated February 17, 2020
- In 2020, the average time it takes to sell a home in New Jersey — from listing through closing — is approximately 99 days. That’s 64 days to get an offer, plus the typical 35-day closing period.
- Key factors that impact New Jersey home sale timelines include local market conditions (e.g., buyer demand, job market, rising home values, etc.), time of year, and your property’s type and condition.
- Your agent’s listing strategy (pricing, marketing, networking, etc.) and the buyer’s financing situation — i.e., the amount of time it takes for them to secure loan approval — will also influence how long your sale ultimately takes.
Read on to learn more about how long it takes to sell a house in New Jersey — and get some pro tips on how to speed up your sale, get better offers, and save thousands in the process.
What’s the average time to sell a house in New Jersey?
|Average Time to Sell*||Average Price**|
*Redfin Data Center (average of median days on market in 2019)
**Redfin Data Center (average of median price in 2019)
The average time it takes to sell a house in New Jersey in 2020 is 99 days — 64 days to get an offer and an additional 35 days to close. This is approximately 23.75% slower than the national average. Keep in mind that these are annual averages and the numbers will vary by month and/or season.
Best time to sell a house in New Jersey
In addition to the average days on market and list price data, we’ve compiled data on the BEST (and worst) time to sell your New Jersey house based on what’s most important to you:
- Fastest Time to Sell: When should you list your home if you’re looking to sell quickly?
- Highest Sale Price: What month should you list in to get the best possible price for your home?
Best month to sell a house fast in New Jersey
|Month*||Days on Market*|
|Best Month||June||50 days|
|Worst Month||February||82 days|
*Redfin Data Center (median days on market by month in 2019)
The best month to sell a house fast in New Jersey is June. The median time it takes for New Jersey homes listed in June to get an offer is 50 days, which is 14 days faster than the annual average.
Best month to sell a house in New Jersey for price
*Redfin Data Center (median sale price by month in 2019)
The best month to sell a house in New Jersey in terms of sale price is July. The median sale price in July is $337,000, which is 6.93% — or $21,833 — more than the annual average.
5 tips to get your New Jersey home sold
1. Time the market
In New Jersey, the best time to list your home for both price and selling time is July. The median sales time in this month is 65 days, and the median sales price is $328,000. However, this can vary from city to city so be sure and check with a local real estate expert.
2. Stage your home to sell
Most home buying decisions come down to pure emotion - a buyer walks into a house and either feels at home or doesn't. Your job as a seller is to show them that your home could feel like home, and you can achieve that through proper staging. Your realtor will have advice on popular trends in your area, and it may be a good idea to hire an interior designer as well.
3. Take professional photos for your listing
Don't skimp on your listing photos. The pictures you take of your home are going to be what attracts a buyer who's scrolling through tons of listings online, so make sure they're good and show off your home to its fullest. Be sure to hire a professional who will take photos of both the interior and exterior.
4. Keep your home available for showings
If you want a buyer to purchase your home, first you need to get them in the front door. Try your best to accommodate buyers whenever they want to visit even if it's not the best time for you - you never know if you've turned away the perfect buyer.
5. Price your home competitively
You're not going to have much luck selling your home if you price it way above its true value. Similarly, you're going to end up leaving tons of money on the table if you price it too low as well. Speak with your realtor about performing a comparative market analysis, which will help determine a price that's fair and competitive.
Next steps for New Jersey home sellers
If you’re looking to sell your home fast in New Jersey and get a great price, Clever can help.
Clever negotiates reduced rates with top-rated real estate agents throughout New Jersey. Get full service and support for a flat $3,000 listing fee — or just 1% if your home sells for more than $350,000. You’ll still have to offer a buyer’s agent commission, per the standard rate in your area (typically 2.5-3%), but overall, you’ll still save up to 50% on standard commission fees.
Importantly, home sellers who list with Clever get their first qualified offer in an average of 13 days* — that’s 51 days faster than the average time to offer in New Jersey.
Sell your house fast and save thousands!
Work with a top local agent for a fraction of the typical cost.
*Average time to offer for Clever home sellers in 2019.
Additional resources for New Jersey home sellers
- How to sell your house fast in New Jersey
- How much does it cost to sell a home in New Jersey?
- 8 steps to selling a house in New Jersey
- What’s the average real estate commission in New Jersey?