Whether you're selling a brick bungalow in St. Louis or a split-level in Springfield, paying 6% in realtor fees is a lot.
That’s why some sellers use a flat-fee MLS company to list their home on the MLS — the main place where realtors find homes to show their clients — in exchange for a small one-time fee.
What’s the catch?
- Less support: You manage your own sale — without a full-service agent to handle pricing, photography, paperwork, and negotiations.
- Lower sales price: For sale by owner (FSBO) homes usually sell for significantly less than homes sold by agents — 6% less on average compared to agent-represented properties.
- You still pay a buyer’s agent fee: 88% of buyers work with an agent — who still needs to get paid. In Missouri, you’re on the hook for 2.50%-3.00% of the final sale price.
If you want to save on fees but aren’t ready for a “Do-It-Yourself” experience, Clever can match you with full-service realtors who work for a low flat fee of $3,000 or 1%.
Clever is the best alternative to the full DIY approach if you're in Missouri! You'll save thousands on listing fees, while still getting the support you need to sell your home fast AND for top dollar.
If you’re still interested in finding flat-fee MLS listing options in Missouri, read on! We’ve reviewed the best (and worst!) services in The Show Me State.
The 4 best Missouri flat-fee MLS companies*
Avenue Real Estate Group
Flat Fee Group
Flat Fee Realty
Unlimited listing updates
For sale sign
* 💰 indicates extra fee or premium purchase required
Sellers looking for a simple listing at the lowest possible price.
- You'll recieve a basic listing for the lowest possible price - lower than all competitors in the area.
- Your listing is supported by a real estate brokerage, so you can upgrade to agent support at any time without a cancellation fee.
- Specific details regarding your listing services aren't available until you've submitted your information to the company, so you won't know what you're getting ahead of time.
Sellers looking for greater service and support.
- All necessary seller's disclosures are included in any package.
- A yard sign and lockbox are included for free in most packages.
- Listing periods are shorter than competitors in a similar price range.
- The base package is fairly spare - offering only 8 photos and no additional services.
Sellers looking for a premium experience at a premium price.
- You can make unlimited changes to your listing free of charge.
- Basic agent support and contract negotiations are included in even the basic package.
- You recieve a yard sign and a lockbox rental free of charge - most competitors require additional fees.
- Vastly more expensive than competitors, and no discount option is available.
Budget-conscious sellers who need a simple, affordable listing.
- Your listing comes with all the state seller's disclosures that you'll need.
- You can pay a little more to post up to 25 photos on the MLS instead of the standard six.
- Flat Fee Realty doesn't offer any pricing or contract assistance.
- The company won't be your listing broker. Instead, they'll refer you to a Missouri-based broker who will list your property. If you have problems or questions, you'll end up talking to two companies instead of just one.
Flat-fee MLS companies in Missouri by city
In Missouri, you'll also find some smaller flat-fee MLS companies that specialize in particular cities. These uber-local companies are more likely to offer flexible service packages and to bring more area expertise than the big guys.
Every Missouri flat-fee MLS service is different. Always make sure to read the fine print when evaluating offerings to make sure you're getting a fair deal.
Flat-fee MLS companies in St. Louis
We found St. Louis' array of flat-fee MLS companies as unique as the city itself. Basic packages from these companies are priced at around $100-200, with premium packages reaching up to $800.
» EXPLORE: The Best St. Louis Flat-Fee MLS Companies
Flat-fee MLS companies in Kansas City
Kansas City offers a few new options for flat-fee MLS listings. These companies typically offer a basic listing packages for around $100-200.
» EXPLORE: The Best Kansas City Flat-Fee MLS Companies
Hidden costs of flat-fee MLS companies
Some companies claim to offer flat-rate MLS services but charge "hidden" fees at closing. We've even seen some companies that claim to offer a "free" MLS listing only to charge you a percentage of the sale price at closing.
These predatory practices could cost you thousands of dollars when you expect to pay only a few hundred.
Always make sure to read the fine print for any service. Look out for "closing fees" or "admin fees" that you'll owe the broker in addition to an up-front flat fee.
Further, some flat-fee MLS companies offer a la carte services like photography, paperwork help, and signage. These services can reduce some of your DIY work, but watch out. These add-ons can add up!
At a certain point, you may be better off finding a full-service agent who charges a clear and upfront discounted rate.
Frequently asked questions
How much do flat-fee MLS services cost in Missouri?
Typically, you should expect to pay about $200-400 for a flat-fee MLS listing in Missouri. However, we've seen basic plans for as low as $100 and more comprehensive services that charge as much as $1,200.
Do I still need to pay the buyer's agent commission?
Although you'll save some money by not having to pay commission to a listing agent (typically 2.50%-5.00% of the sale price), we strongly recommend offering a commission to the buyer's agent. This will incentivize agents to bring their clients to your home.
How much to offer a buyer's agent is up to you, but most selling agent commissions in Missouri range from 2.50%-3.00%.
How do I sell by owner in Missouri?
Missouri sellers typically disclose all important information about their property, including:
- Building and safety information
- Environmental information (like erosion, noise pollution, and whether it's in a flood plain)
- Sewer and wastewater treatment
Missouri is a "buyer beware" state and, in most situations, sellers are not legally required to make disclosures (except those required by federal law). However, to give buyers peace of mind, many homeowners still provide a disclosure statement.
What are the alternatives to using a flat-fee MLS service in Missouri?
Discount and flat-fee real estate agents
Discount real estate brokers will list your property for as little as 1% — keeping in mind that you usually still have to pay a 2.6–3% buyer’s agent fee.
We’ve reviewed four national and regional discount brokers that operate in Missouri.
In Missouri, Clever offers the lowest rates, with an added advantage: Clever lets you compare multiple agents from major brands like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX.
Clever is an agent-matching service that can match you with a pre-vetted, full-service agent for only $3,000 (or 1% if your home is priced above $350,000), plus the typical buyer's agent commission.
Your Clever agent will handle everything for you, from helping you accurately price your home to high-quality photography to negotiating with prospective buyers and filling out the paperwork.
You'll pay only a little more than you'd pay a flat-fee MLS service but save hours of effort by not having to do it all yourself!
Ready to start saving?
Find top agents who charge a flat $3,000 or 1%. Clever's agent-matching service is free, with NO obligation!
Selling without an MLS listing
It's always possible to try selling your house by owner without listing on the MLS. But this makes sense only if you already have a potential buyer lined up.
That's because not listing on your local MLS means not getting the most effective exposure for your property. MLS listings are posted to every major real estate website. Plus, real estate agents access MLS listings to find properties for their clients.
If you don't secure an MLS listing, you'll be limited to sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and relying on a yard sign.