Whether you're selling a brick bungalow in St. Louis or a split-level in Springfield, paying 6% in realtor fees is a lot.
That’s why some sellers use a flat fee MLS Missouri company to list their home on the multiple listing service (MLS) — the main place where realtors find homes to show their clients — in exchange for a small one-time fee.
What’s the catch?
- Less support: You manage your own sale — without a full-service listing broker to handle pricing, photography, paperwork, and negotiations.
- Lower sales price: For sale by owner (FSBO) homes usually sell for significantly less than homes sold by agents — 6% less on average.
- You still pay a buyer agent commission: 88% of buyers work with an agent — who still needs to get paid. In Missouri, you’re on the hook for 2.53% to 3.00% of the final sale price.
If you want to save on fees but aren’t ready for a do-it-yourself experience, Clever can match you with full-service realtors who work for a low flat fee of 1.5%.
Clever is the best alternative to the full DIY approach if you're in Missouri! You'll save thousands on listing fees, while still getting the support you need to sell your home fast AND for top dollar.
If you’re still interested in finding flat fee MLS listing options in Missouri, read on! We’ve reviewed the best (and worst) services in The Show Me State.
The 4 best Missouri flat fee MLS companies*
Avenue Real Estate GroupAvenue Real Estate Group
- You'll recieve a basic listing for the lowest possible price - lower than all competitors in the area.
- Your listing is supported by a real estate brokerage, so you can upgrade to agent support at any time without a cancellation fee.
- Specific details regarding your listing services aren't available until you've submitted your information to the company, so you won't know what you're getting ahead of time.
- All necessary seller's disclosures are included in any package.
- A yard sign and lockbox are included for free in most packages.
- Listing periods are shorter than competitors in a similar price range.
- The base package is fairly spare - offering only 8 photos and no additional services.
Flat Fee GroupFlat Fee Group
- You can make unlimited changes to your listing free of charge.
- Basic agent support and contract negotiations are included in even the basic package.
- You recieve a yard sign and a lockbox rental free of charge - most competitors require additional fees.
- Vastly more expensive than competitors, and no discount option is available.
Flat Fee RealtyFlat Fee Realty
- Your listing comes with all the state seller's disclosures that you'll need.
- You can pay a little more to post up to 25 photos on the MLS instead of the standard six.
- Flat Fee Realty doesn't offer any pricing or contract assistance.
- The company won't be your listing broker. Instead, they'll refer you to a Missouri-based broker who will list your property. If you have problems or questions, you'll end up talking to two companies instead of just one.
Flat fee MLS companies in Missouri by city
In Missouri, you'll also find some smaller flat fee MLS companies that specialize in particular cities. These uber-local companies are more likely to offer flexible MLS listing packages and bring more area expertise than the big guys.
Every Missouri flat fee MLS service is different. Always make sure to read the fine print when evaluating offerings to make sure you're getting a fair deal.
Flat fee MLS companies in St. Louis
We found St. Louis's array of flat fee MLS companies to be as unique as the city itself. Basic packages from these companies are priced around $100–200, with premium packages reaching up to $800.
» EXPLORE: The Best St. Louis Flat Fee MLS Companies
Flat fee MLS companies in Kansas City
The Kansas City area offers a few new options for flat fee MLS listings, from national brands like Flat Fee Group to more local options. These companies typically offer a basic listing package for around $100–200.
» EXPLORE: The Best Kansas City Flat Fee MLS Companies
Hidden costs of flat fee listing companies
Some companies claim to offer flat fee MLS services but charge hidden fees at closing. We've even seen some companies that claim to offer a free MLS listing only to charge you a percentage of the sale price at closing.
These predatory practices could cost you thousands of dollars when you expect to pay only a few hundred.
Always make sure to read the fine print for any service. Look out for "closing fees" or "admin fees" that you'll owe the broker in addition to an upfront flat fee.
Further, some flat fee MLS companies offer à la carte services like photography, paperwork help, and signage. These services can reduce some of your DIY work, but watch out. These add-ons can add up!
At a certain point, you may be better off finding a full-service agent who charges a clear and upfront discounted rate.
Selling your home is difficult, even with a flat-fee MLS company to handle your listing. Add in hidden fees, a la carte services, and premium service tiers, and you'll save a lot less than you planned, but still be stuck with most of the work.
There's a better option. Clever pre-negotiates lower listing fees with top agents in your area. You still save on commission, while getting the support of a full-service agent.
- Clever partner agents offer full-service support for a fraction of the traditional cost: a 1.5% listing fee instead of the typical 2.5-3%
- Choose from the best local agents representing top regional and national brokerages, like Keller Williams and Century 21
Ready to find real estate agents who can help you save thousands on your sale? Enter your zip code below to get started!
What are the alternatives to using a flat fee MLS service in Missouri?
Discount and flat fee real estate agents
A discount real estate broker will list your property for as little as 1% — but keep in mind that you usually still have to pay a 2.6–3% buyer’s agent fee.
We’ve reviewed four national and regional discount brokers that operate in Missouri.
In Missouri, Clever offers low rates, with an added advantage: Clever lets you compare multiple agents from major brands like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX.
Clever matches home sellers like you with pre-vetted, full-service agents for only a 1.5% listing fee. That's half the rate agents typically charge, letting you keep thousands more in your pocket when your home sells.
Your Clever agent will handle everything for you, helping you accurately price your home, get high-quality photography, negotiate with prospective buyers, and complete paperwork.
You'll pay only a little more than you'd pay a flat fee MLS service, but you'll save hours of effort by not having to do everything yourself!
Want to find a top local agent without overpaying on realtor fees? Clever negotiates 1.5% listing fees with top-rated realtors from trusted brokerages like Keller Williams, RE/MAX, and Berkshire Hathaway.
Get guaranteed full service for a fraction of the 3% rate agents typically charge. Schedule a free, no obligation consultation with a top local agent today!
Selling without an MLS listing
It's always possible to try selling your house by owner without an MLS listing. But this makes sense only if you already have a potential buyer lined up.
That's because not listing on your local MLS means not getting the most effective exposure for your property. MLS listings are posted to every major real estate website. Plus, real estate agents access MLS listings to find properties for their clients.
If you don't secure an MLS listing, you'll be limited to sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and relying on a yard sign.
Frequently asked questions about flat fee MLS Missouri companies
How much do flat fee MLS services cost in Missouri?
Typically, you can expect to pay about $200-400 for a flat fee MLS listing in Missouri. However, we've seen basic plans for as low as $100 and more comprehensive services that charge as much as $1,200.
Do I still need to pay the buyer agent commission?
We strongly recommend offering a commission to the buyer's broker. This will incentivize agents to bring their clients to your home. With a flat fee Missouri MLS broker, you'll still save money by not paying commission to a listing agent (typically 2.73% to 3.20% of the sale price).
How much to offer a buyer's agent is up to you, but their commission in Missouri typically ranges from 2.53% to 3.00%.
How do I sell by owner in Missouri?
Missouri sellers typically disclose all important information about their property, including:
- Building and safety information
- Environmental information (like erosion, noise pollution, and whether it's in a flood plain)
- Sewer and wastewater treatment
Missouri is a "buyer beware" state, and, in most situations, sellers are not legally required to make disclosures (except those required by federal law). However, to give buyers peace of mind, many homeowners still provide a disclosure statement.
What is the best flat fee MLS listing service in Missouri?
Avenue Real Estate Group is our top pick for flat fee MLS Missouri companies. It offers one of the lowest prices of any Missouri flat fee MLS listing service and gives you the option to upgrade to real estate agent support if you need it. BuySelf, Flat Fee Group, and Flat Fee Realty are also good options. Some — especially Flat Fee Group — cost more than Avenue Real Estate Group, but they also offer more services. See our full rankings of Missouri flat fee MLS listing services!
How do I get access to the MLS in Missouri?
The only way to get on your local multiple listing service (MLS) is by hiring a person or organization with a valid real estate license, such as a real estate agent or a flat fee MLS listing service. A flat fee listing company gets your property listed on the local MLS in exchange for a flat rate. While flat fee services are cheaper than a real estate agent, they also offer fewer services. You'll largely be working as your own real estate agent, which can be overwhelming for homeowners who have limited experience selling real estate. Learn more about flat fee MLS listing services in Missouri.
What is a flat fee MLS company?
A flat fee MLS company is a limited service broker that lists your property on the MLS for a flat fee. While a flat fee MLS brokerage has a real estate license, they don't provide many of the services that a traditional real estate broker does. Some flat fee MLS listing services offer basic support, with marketing materials, legal forms, and unlimited listing changes. But more complicated services, like buyer negotiation assistance, a comparative market analysis, and professional photography, requires either an additional fee or a real estate agent. Learn more about flat fee MLS listing services.