Whether you're selling a South Bend townhouse minutes from Notre Dame or a Avon split-level in suburban Indianapolis, paying 6% in realtor fees is a lot.
That’s why some sellers use a flat-fee MLS company to list their home on the MLS — the main place where realtors find homes to show their clients — in exchange for a small one-time fee.
What’s the catch?
- Less support: You manage your own sale — without a full-service agent to handle pricing, photography, paperwork, and negotiations.
- Lower sales price: For sale by owner (FSBO) homes usually sell for significantly less than homes sold by agents — 6% less on average compared to agent-represented properties.
- You still pay a buyer’s agent fee: 88% of buyers work with an agent — who still needs to get paid. In Indiana, you’re on the hook for 2.14%-3.27% of the final sale price.
If you want to save on fees but aren’t ready for a "Do-It-Yourself" experience, Clever can match you with full-service realtors who work for a low flat fee of 1.5%.
Clever is the best alternative to the full DIY approach if you're in Indiana! You'll save thousands on listing fees, while still getting the support you need to sell your home fast AND for top dollar.
If you’re still interested in finding flat-fee MLS listing options in Indiana, read on! We’ve reviewed the best (and worst!) services in The Hoosier State.
The 5 best Indiana flat-fee MLS companies*
Flat Fee Realty LLCFlat Fee Realty LLC
- Your listing comes with a comparative market analysis to help you price your home. Many competitors charge extra for this service.
- You get a yard sign with your listing. The sign includes a phone number and website where people can get more info about your property.
- An agent will come take pictures of your property that you can use for your MLS listing.
- There's only one package to choose from. This isn't a great option for sellers on a shoestring budget.
- They don't specify how many photos you can add to your listing.
Mentor ListingMentor Listing
- You can add as many open houses as you want to your listing without paying an extra fee.
- The base package only includes one photo. Most other companies include at least six (if not more) in their basic listing package.
- You'll have to pay an extra $200 at closing to cover Indiana's minimum service requirements.
Mink RealtyMink Realty
- The gold and platinum packages come with a lot of extra assistance from the listing broker like contract reviews and advice, listing feedback, and negotiation assistance.
- For an extra fee, the broker will promote your listing on social media for you.
- You have to pay extra to e-sign documents.
- The base package doesn't include any open house listings.
Paradigm RealtyParadigm Realty
- You can add a virtual tour to your listing for no extra cost.
- They don't charge an extra fee if you decide to cancel your listing.
- You have to pay extra if you want your disclosures uploaded to your listing instead of sending them to potential buyers directly.
- You'll pay a $350 fee at closing to cover Indiana's minimum service requirements.
Flat Fee RealtyFlat Fee Realty
- Your listing comes with all the state seller's disclosures that you'll need.
- You can pay a little more to post up to 25 photos on the MLS instead of the standard six.
- Flat Fee Realty doesn't offer any pricing or contract assistance.
- The company won't be your listing broker. Instead, they'll refer you to a New Jersey-based broker who will list your property. If you have problems or questions, you'll end up talking to two companies instead of just one.
Flat-fee MLS companies in Indiana by city
In Indiana, you'll also find some smaller flat-fee MLS companies that specialize in particular cities. These uber-local companies are more likely to offer flexible service packages and to bring more area expertise than the big guys.
Every Indiana flat-fee MLS service is different. Always make sure to read the fine print when evaluating offerings to make sure you're getting a fair deal.
Flat-fee MLS companies in Indianapolis
We found the choices for flat-fee MLS companies in Indianapolis to be fairly limited. While there are a lot of companies available, their listing packages are all very similar thanks to Indiana's minimum service laws. You'll find options between $300 and $600.
Before you make a decision, ask if the broker charges an extra fee at closing to cover minimum service requirements so you aren't surprised when you see the bill.
» EXPLORE: The Best Indianapolis Flat-Fee MLS Companies
Hidden costs of flat-fee MLS companies
Some companies claim to offer flat-rate MLS services but charge "hidden" fees at closing. We've even seen some companies that claim to offer a "free" MLS listing only to charge you a percentage of the sale price at closing.
These predatory practices could cost you thousands of dollars when you expect to pay only a few hundred.
Always make sure to read the fine print for any service. Look out for "closing fees" or "admin fees" that you'll owe the broker in addition to an up-front flat fee.
Further, some flat-fee MLS companies offer a la carte services like photography, paperwork help, and signage. These services can reduce some of your DIY work, but watch out. These add-ons can add up!
At a certain point, you may be better off finding a full-service agent who charges a clear and upfront discounted rate.
Selling your home is difficult, even with a flat-fee MLS company to handle your listing. Add in hidden fees, a la carte services, and premium service tiers, and you'll save a lot less than you planned, but still be stuck with most of the work.
There's a better option. Clever pre-negotiates lower listing fees with top agents in your area. You still save on commission, while getting the support of a full-service agent.
- Clever partner agents offer full-service support for a fraction of the traditional cost: a 1.5% listing fee instead of the typical 2.5-3%
- Choose from the best local agents representing top regional and national brokerages, like Keller Williams and Century 21
Ready to find real estate agents who can help you save thousands on your sale? Enter your zip code below to get started!
Frequently asked questions
How much do flat-fee MLS services cost in Indiana?
Typically, you should expect to pay about $300-600 for a flat-fee MLS listing in Indiana. However, we've seen basic plans for as low as $200 and more comprehensive services that charge as much as $1,000.
Do I still need to pay the buyer's agent commission?
Although you'll save some money by not having to pay commission to a listing agent (typically 2.40%-3.53% of the sale price), we strongly recommend offering a commission to the buyer's agent. This will incentivize agents to bring their clients to your home.
How much to offer a buyer's agent is up to you, but most selling agent commissions in Indiana range from 2.14%-3.27%.
How do I sell by owner in Indiana?
Indiana real estate laws require sellers to disclose all important information about their property, including:
Building and safety information
Environmental information (like erosion, noise pollution, and whether it's in a flood plain)
Sewer and wastewater treatment
You'll document all of these details in the Seller's Residential Real Estate Sales Disclosure, which will either be added to your MLS listing or delivered directly to interested buyers and their Realtors. You can get the form from your listing broker or download it directly from the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency.
What are the alternatives to using a flat-fee MLS service in Indiana?
Discount and flat-fee real estate agents
Discount real estate brokers will list your property for as little as 1% — keeping in mind that you usually still have to pay a 2.6–3% buyer’s agent fee.
We’ve reviewed four national and regional discount brokers that operate in Indiana.
In Indiana, Clever offers the lowest rates, with an added advantage: Clever lets you compare multiple agents from major brands like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX.
Clever matches home sellers like you with pre-vetted, full service agents for only a 1.5% listing fee. That's half the rate agents typically charge, letting you keep thousands more in your pocket when your home sells.
Your Clever agent will handle everything for you, from helping you accurately price your home to high-quality photography to negotiating with prospective buyers and filling out the paperwork.
You'll pay only a little more than you'd pay a flat-fee MLS service but save hours of effort by not having to do it all yourself!
Want to find a top local agent without overpaying on realtor fees? Clever negotiates 1.5% listing fees with top-rated realtors from trusted brokerages like Keller Williams, RE/MAX, and Berkshire Hathaway.
Get guaranteed full service for a fraction of the 3% rate agents typically charge. Schedule a free, no obligation consultation with a top local agent today!
Selling without an MLS listing
It's always possible to try selling your house by owner without listing on the MLS. But this makes sense only if you already have a potential buyer lined up.
That's because not listing on your local MLS means not getting the most effective exposure for your property. MLS listings are posted to every major real estate website. Plus, real estate agents access MLS listings to find properties for their clients.
If you don't secure an MLS listing, you'll be limited to sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and relying on a yard sign.