📊 The data:
We surveyed local agents and found that the average real estate commission in Indiana is 5.66%, which is higher than the national average of 5.37%.
To sell a house in Indiana worth $231,519 — the median home value in Indiana — you’ll pay about $13,104 in realtor fees.
Realtor commission is usually the largest cost you'll face when selling your home — but you don't have to pay the full 5.66%.
Clever Real Estate could help you save thousands on commission by pre-negotiating 1.5% listing fees with full-service Indiana realtors from top brokerages.
On that same $231,519 home — you'd pay just $9,300, up to 29% less than paying average rates.
How real estate agent commission works
|Average listing commission||2.96%|
|Average buyer's agent commission||2.70%|
|Total average commission||5.66%|
There are usually two real estate agents involved in a home sale:
- The seller's agent (also called the listing agent), who represents the home seller
- The buyer's agent, who represents the person buying the home
Based on our research, the average commission rate for listing agents is 2.96% of the final home price and 2.70% for buyer's agents, for a total of 5.66%.
» LEARN: How do real estate commissions work?
Who pays realtor fees in Indiana?
In Indiana, home sellers pay real estate commission fees out of the final sale proceeds for both agents involved in a deal. Offering to pay for the buyer's agent's commission is an incentive for agents to show your home to their clients.
If you'd like to save on commissions, Clever can connect you with a top listing agent in your area. You'll pay just 1.5% (or $3,000 if your home sells for less than $350,000), keeping more money in your pocket at the end of your sale.
Want to find a top local agent in Indiana without overpaying on realtor fees? Clever negotiates 1.5% listing fees with top-rated Indiana real estate agents from trusted brokerages like Keller Williams, RE/MAX, and Berkshire Hathaway.
Get guaranteed full service for a fraction of the 2.96% rate Indiana agents typically charge. Schedule a free, no obligation consultation with a top local agent today!
How to save on realtor fees in Indiana
Commission rates are not set in stone. In fact, we found that while 5.66% is the average in Indiana, rates typically fall between 4.54% and 6.80%. You can save money by negotiating a lower rate with your listing agent or by working with brokerage that has a discounted commission model.
|Listing commission range||2.40%– 3.53%|
|Buyer's agent commission||2.14%– 3.27%|
|Total commission range||4.54%– 6.80%|
Tips for negotiating realtor commission in Indiana
Whether you’re selling a loft in downtown Indianapolis, an investment rental in South Bend, or a duplex in Fort Wayne, you can potentially save thousands of dollars by negotiating a lower rate on your commission.
Negotiating a lower realtor percentage in Indiana depends on two main factors: your situation and the housing market.
|Factor||You may have an easier time negotiating low rates if...|
|The Indiana housing market||
While your personal situation will obviously vary, Indiana real estate market conditions will affect all home sellers in your area.
In general, in a seller's market — where home sellers have more leverage than buyers — a listing agent's job is easier and they may be more willing to lower their commission rates. The opposite is usually true in a buyer's market.
To judge the current state of your real estate market, look at these three factors:
- Months of inventory
- Sale to list price
- Home value trends
If every factor points to Indiana being a seller's market, then you may be in a good position to negotiate a lower commission rate with your agent. If market conditions are mixed or favor buyers, it may be more challenging to persuade your realtor to accept a cheaper fee.
The current state of the Indiana real estate market
|Months of inventory||There's 1.7 months of housing inventory on the market||Seller's market|
|Sale-to-list ratio||Homes are selling for 97.38% of their listing price||Buyer's market|
|Home values||Home values have risen 40.58% year over year||Seller's market|
Low commission real estate companies in Indiana
Negotiating a lower rate with a professional negotiator can be hard! In many cases, home sellers can save just as much (or more!) by selling with a low commission real estate company.
These are some of the top discount and flat-fee MLS services in Indiana.
The top discount real estate companies in Indiana
Discount real estate companies typically offer full-service support for a reduced commission percentage or flat rate. How they create those discounts will depend on the company's model, with some creating more risks and trade-offs than others.
Clever Real EstateGet Started
💲 Listing Fee
💰 Avg. Savings
⭐ Avg. Customer Rating
Clever is a quick, easy, and free way to find a top-rated local agent. And, unlike many similar companies, Clever pre-negotiates big discounts on your behalf, so you can save thousands without sacrificing on service.
- Clever offers a free, nationwide agent-matching service that partners with full-service local agents from conventional brokerages like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX.
- You get multiple agent matches so you can interview, compare marketing plans, and choose the best fit.
- Clever pre-negotiates low rates on your behalf — you get full service for a low 1.5% listing fee.
- If you buy with Clever, you could get cash back after closing.
- You may not get matched with an agent from your preferred real estate brokerage.
- Agents may not provide premium services like drone photography and professional home staging.
Clever has a 4.9 out of 5 rating on Trustpilot, based on 1,710 reviews.
Clever has pre-negotiated low commission rates with top agents in all 50 states and Washington, DC.
💲 Listing Fee
💰 Avg. Savings
⭐ Avg. Customer Rating
Redfin offers real savings and is a proven brand. But sellers could compromise on service — especially agent experience and availability.
- If you buy and sell with Redfin, you'll get a 0.5% listing fee discount.
- Redfin gives its listings premium placement in its popular home search app.
- If finding the right agent is a top priority, you'll have limited options — Redfin only has a few agents in each of its markets.
- Redfin agents handle more customers at once than the average realtor, so they may not be able to provide as much personalized service.
Redfin has a 3.8 out of 5 rating (425 reviews) across popular review sites like Google and Yelp.
Redfin is available in 80+ U.S. markets (see all locations).
The top flat fee MLS listing services in Indiana
Flat fee MLS services list your home on your local MLS for a low fee, often around $200–$1,000. The trade-off is that you'll have to handle almost the entire home-selling process yourself.
Flat Fee Realty LLCFlat Fee Realty LLC
- Your listing comes with a comparative market analysis to help you price your home. Many competitors charge extra for this service.
- You get a yard sign with your listing. The sign includes a phone number and website where people can get more info about your property.
- An agent will come take pictures of your property that you can use for your MLS listing.
- There's only one package to choose from. This isn't a great option for sellers on a shoestring budget.
- They don't specify how many photos you can add to your listing.
Mentor ListingMentor Listing
- You can add as many open houses as you want to your listing without paying an extra fee.
- The base package only includes one photo. Most other companies include at least six (if not more) in their basic listing package.
- You'll have to pay an extra $200 at closing to cover Indiana's minimum service requirements.
The Hoosier State combines a low cost of living with a high quality of life. Residents enjoy a robust economy, thanks in part to low-tax, low-regulation state policies.
Indiana home values have nearly doubled over the past decade, but are still very affordable, sitting a bit below the national average. Even in the large Indianapolis market, which has seen even sharper appreciation than the statewide market, the median home value is still very affordable. The upshot? There’s a lot of value to be found in Indiana, for both investors and first time buyers.
If you’re interested in saving thousands on real estate commission, Clever has already pre-negotiated low listing rates of only 1.5% or $3,000 with some of Indiana’s top real estate agents. Contact Clever today to find out how much you can save!
If you're weighing your options for buying or selling a house, Clever can help!
Our fully-licensed concierge team is standing by to answer questions and provide free, objective advice on getting the best outcome with your sale or purchase.
Ready to get started?
Give us a call at 1-833-2-CLEVER or enter your info below. Our concierge team will be in touch shortly to help.
Remember, this service is 100% free and there’s never any obligation.
Our data on commission rates is based on a survey of 630 of our partner agents, in which we asked for typical rates for both buyer's and seller's agents in their area.
Additionally, we utilized the following data from Zillow and Realtor.com:
- Home values, list prices, and sale prices: Based on Zillow data as of July 2023
- Sale prices and sale-to-list ratios: Based on Redfin data as of February 2023 (unless specified otherwise)
- Months of inventory: Based on Realtor.com data as of February 2023
Additional Resources for Indiana Home Sellers