If you have a home that you need to sell quickly in Louisville, you have a few options:
- Sell your home with an agent who understands your goal.
- Sell to a We Buy Houses company if your home needs repairs.
The main downside of these fast-sale options is that you may have to accept a lower price. While this may not be ideal, many people who need to sell their home quickly due to job changes or other life circumstances may feel that the convenience of a faster sale is worth the financial sacrifice.
Below, we've outlined your best choices for selling your house fast in Louisville.
To get cash offers right now, sign up for Clever Offers. A local agent will gather and compare offers for you from leading iBuyers and We Buy Houses companies. Your agent will help you negotiate to get the best price and provide you with a free home valuation so you know what your home is worth on the open market.
What to expect when selling a home in Louisville
In Kentucky, homes usually sell the fastest during June and slowest during January.
To set expectations for your selling timeline in Kentucky, look at two factors:
- Median days on market: Number of days before a seller accepts an offer
- Average time to sell: Number of days on market until offer, plus the average number of days to close
Average time to sell a house in Kentucky
Median days on market
Average time to sell
Based on Realtor.com data (October 2022)
In Kentucky, the current average time to sell is 5.1% slower than than the national average.
» LEARN MORE: Average Time to Sell a House in Kentucky
How to sell my house fast in Louisville
Best option: Sell your house quickly with an agent
⚡ Quick facts: Selling with an agent
- Percentage of market value you’ll earn: 90–95%
- Average time to sell: 50 days
- Fees you’ll pay:
- Average listing commission: 2.72%
- Average buyer agent commission: 2.72%
- Average closing costs: 3.07%
Hiring a real estate agent is often the most effective way to get the highest price for your home, even if you need to lower the price slightly to sell it more quickly. In Kentucky, where it usually takes an average of 83 days to sell a property, pricing your home about 5% below market value may help speed up the process.
There are various expenses that can cut into your profits, such as the agent's commission, the buyer's agent's commission, and closing costs. Even with those, you'll still likely make more than you would with a We Buy Houses company. Find more information about the costs associated with selling a home in Kentucky.
When working with an agent, you may not sell as quickly as you would with a We Buy Houses for Cash company. These types of companies can often close on a home within a few weeks because they pay cash, so you don't have to wait for financing to be approved like you might with a buyer getting a mortgage.
Selling with an agent is best for…
- People with homes in good condition
- People with at least 30 days to sell
- People who want to sell fast while making the most money
Tips to sell fast with an agent
One benefit of using an agent is their knowledge of the local market, which is very valuable when seeking a quick home sale. Along with your agent's advice, here are some other tips to sell your home quickly in Louisville.
- Show the buyer that your home is move-in ready. Bob Nyswonger of Comey & Shepherd Realtors in Cincinnati says that when looking for a quick sale, "the first order of business is making sure the property is ready for immediate possession — no tenants, no personal contents."
- Make it clear that you're motivated to sell in the listing description. "I would list 5–10% below market value and state in the marketing remarks that the seller seeks a contingency-free contract," says Nyswonger. "There are plenty of smaller local investors that will take a shot. Demanding proof of funds with the offer consideration would be advisable as well."
💸 How cash offers work
Cash offers are the fastest path to closing because the buyer doesn't need to get a loan. The financial institution doesn't have to spend time checking the buyer's financials (known as the underwriting process). There's also less risk of the buyer's financial situation changing in a way that puts the sale at risk.
When listing with an agent, you can state your preference for cash offers. Keep in mind, though, that this might limit the number of offers.
Good option: Sell to a We Buy Houses for Cash company
⚡ Quick facts: Selling to a We Buy Houses company
- Percentage of market value you’ll earn: 50–70%
- Average time to sell: 3–21 days
- Fees you’ll pay: None
One of the fastest ways to sell your house in Louisville is by using a We Buy Houses company. These businesses are backed by investors who offer cash for homes and can complete the transaction within a week or two. With a cash offer, you won't have to wait for the buyer's financing to be approved, which can remove a few weeks from your selling timeline.
However, there is a trade-off for this convenience and speed. A We Buy Houses company will typically only offer around 70% of the market value of the home. That's because they take into account any necessary repairs that need to be made before reselling.
If you decide to go this route, most We Buy Houses companies in Louisville will follow a similar process. After you contact the company, a representative will visit your home to assess it and provide you with a cash offer. You're not required to accept the offer, so get multiple offers from different companies to compare.
We Buy Houses companies are best for…
- People who want to sell their homes in as-is condition
- Sellers with no iBuyer option in the region
- People with inherited homes (for more info, see our Stress-Free Guide to Selling an Inherited House)
How to choose a We Buy Houses for Cash company in Louisville
There are many We Buy Houses companies in Louisville that offer cash for properties. To find the best one for you, look at our list of the top We Buy Houses companies in Louisville.
When evaluating different We Buy Houses companies, check out customer reviews and find out how quickly they can close on a home. Some companies may be able to complete the process within a week, while others may take up to a month.
It's natural for homeowners to wonder if We Buy Houses companies are a ripoff, due to the lower prices they often offer. However, most of these companies are legitimate investors who aim to make a profit by renovating and reselling the properties they purchase. You're under no obligation to accept their offer and can walk away if you don't feel comfortable with the deal.
Why trust us
Jon Stubbs has spent hundreds of hours researching ways to sell homes quickly. This research includes interviewing real estate agents and representatives from iBuyers and cash buyer companies. The author has written dozens of articles on selling homes with a listing agent as well as non-traditional selling methods.
You can sell your home in Louisville in a matter of weeks using a We Buy Houses company, but you'll likely only make about 70% of the home's market value. You can also try selling to an iBuyer or with an agent with a plan to sell quickly. "https://listwithclever.com/real-estate-blog/sell-my-house-fast-louisville-ky/#sell-fast">Learn more about selling your home quickly in Louisville."
Currently, the average time to sell in Kentucky is 83 days, compared to the national average of 79 days. https://listwithclever.com/real-estate-blog/sell-my-house-fast-louisville-ky/#time">Learn more about selling a home in Louisville.