California real estate trends (July 2021)
How is the real estate market in California?
🏠 Average home value: $682,099
📈 2.47% home value increase month over month
💰 Median sale price: $765,000
⏳ 45 days on the market
🔑 Homes on the market: 40,858
📆 0.7 months of housing inventory
🏦 30-year mortgage rate: 2.87%
💵 Average income: $75,235
State of the market: A-
California is a huge, desirable market, and home prices and sales volume reflect that. But as people continue to leave for more affordable markets, listing prices have started to sag as demand slackens.
*Data last updated July 2021
From Hollywood to Silicon Valley, California is home to some of the nation's most iconic and innovative industries. It's a popular destination for anyone who dreams of working in entertainment or technology.
But the Golden State isn't all glitz and glam — it's also a major agricultural region that produces much of the nation's almonds, strawberries, apricots, and more. Its Mediterranean climate provides comfortable temperatures year-round and nurtures the vineyards that supply Napa Valley's award-winning wineries.
Whether you're drawn to San Francisco's hills or San Diego's beaches, California offers endless opportunities for adventure.
If you're thinking of buying or selling in California, these California housing predictions and stats can help you make an informed decision.
Want to save money when you buy or sell your home? With Clever, you'll only pay 1% or $3K in listing fees. Eligible buyers get 0.5% cash back after closing. Find out how much you can save with Clever today!
Selling a home in California
California real estate market forecast for sellers
⏰ Homes are selling 10 days faster than the annual average
💰 Homes are selling for $15,462 more than the annual average
💸 Average listing commission: 2.51%
💸 Average buyer's commission: 2.41%
How to sell a home in California
- The Best Low Commission Real Estate Brokers
- Top Real Estate Agents in California (June 2021 Rankings)
- 8 Steps to Selling a House in California
- How to Sell a House By Owner in California (2021 Update)
- 5 Best California Flat-Fee MLS Companies in 2021
- We Buy Houses for Cash Companies in California (2021 Rankings)
Cost to sell a home in California
- The Average California Real Estate Commission (2021)
- California Seller Closing Costs in 2021: How Much Will You Pay?
- The Ultimate Guide to California Real Estate Taxes
Buying a home in California
How much home you can buy with $300,000 in...
🏠 Los Angeles: 505 sq ft
🏡 San Diego: 598 sq ft
🏡 San Francisco: 439 sq ft
🏠 Riverside: 1,061 sq ft
- How to Save with a Home Buyer Rebate
- 8 Definitive Steps to Buying a House in California
- The 5 Most Affordable Places to Live In California
- The Best Time to Buy a House in California
- Rent vs. Buy in California: Which Is Right for You? | Clever Real Estate
Investing in California real estate
- Top 5 Best Real Estate Investment Markets in California
- How to Buy a Foreclosed Home in California
- The Ultimate Guide to Flipping Houses in California
- A Beginner's Guide to Buying an Apartment Building
Best of California
Each month, we compare cities in California based on different criteria. This month, we're looking at affordability and ranking the best cities in the state.
Most Affordable Cities in California
2. El Centro
Worst of California
Each month, we compare cities in California based on a different criteria. This month we're looking at affordability data. These are the cities that ranked the worst in the state.
Least Affordable Cities in California
1. Santa Cruz-Watsonville
2. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara
3. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim
4. Santa Rosa-Petaluma
5. San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley
- California Department of Real Estate
- California's real estate license verification
- California's real estate agent code of conduct
- California's disclosure forms
- Transfer taxes in California
- Home buying assistance programs in California
Clever's analysis of state market trends is based on local data from Zillow, realtor.com, Redfin, S&P Global, the U.S. Census, and Clever surveys. Our team of over 20 real estate analysts from across the country research local markets and data to compile our "Best" and "Worst" rankings.