Buying a house is one of the biggest decisions you make in your life. You’re deciding to settle down in one place for a while. Maybe it’s due to moving for work or finding the right city for your lifestyle.
Either way, demand for properties in all markets fluctuates depending on the season of the year. Believe it or not, the time of the year is one of the major factors that influence home prices and availability in any state. Keep in mind that these fluctuations vary on a state basis.
If you aren’t a first-time home buyer, you shouldn’t compare your current house hunt to your prior experiences. The best way to handle timing and pricing fluctuations is by consulting an experienced local realtor.
An expert can help you obtain your dream house at the best price depending on the season and your market. Don’t know where to begin? Here’s all you need to know to secure your California dream home at the best time of the year.
When Is the Best Time to Buy a House in California?
While you may find your dream home at any time of the year, you should go house hunting during certain months of the year if you want to get the best deal. At a national level, the best days to buy a house is on Christmas Day followed by Easter Sunday.
Yet, these days may not apply in the state of California. The rule of thumb is that buying earlier in the year is the best approach. In California, you’ll find the highest number of listed homes from April to June.
Buying when more houses are on the market will help you buy your next home at the best price. If you aren’t in a rush or can’t find the right house during the spring season in California, you may get lucky during the winter season.
Most sellers who list their home during the winter months need to sell their house. You may be able to get a discount on the sale price and might not have to compete with other buying offers. It doesn’t matter if you’re new to the state or know the neighborhood, an experienced real estate agent can provide guidance on timing your home purchase in California.
What Are the Best Cities to Buy a House in California?
Before buying a home, you must make an informed decision. It all starts with learning all you can about the cities you should consider during your home buying journey.
Don’t know where to start your house hunting? Here are the five best cities to buy a home in California in 2019.
- Oxnard: If you’re looking for a beachfront lifestyle at an affordable price, you should consider buying a home in Irvine, CA. The median price for houses is in the low $300,000 making it ideal for any buyer.
- Irvine: This city offers a quality of life 45% higher than the nation’s average. Low unemployment and a booming economy make it ideal for any California buyer.
- Sacramento: This city may be northeast of San Francisco but, it offers great and affordable houses. The majority of households are renters so you may consider renting your house if you decide to relocate in the long term.
- Ventura: Another city that offers a beachfront lifestyle without breaking the bank. It’s home to five colleges making it ideal for parents of high schoolers or college students.
- Oakland: If you want to live near San Francisco without paying a hefty price tag, you may consider buying your home in Oakland. In recent years, unemployment in this city has kept going down which is a sign of a strong market.
4 Ways to Get a Great Deal on a Home in California
While buying your home at the right time is a must to obtain the best deal. House hunting during the best season is half the game. You must develop the right plan to buy your dream home in California at the best price.
Don’t know where to start? Here are four ways to get a great deal when buying a home in California.
1. Find a Great California Real Estate Agent: While you should search house listings on your own to learn about the city, you should consider consulting an expert such as our Clever Partner Agents. A local real estate agent can provide insight into the best time and neighborhoods that may fit your needs. Also, an agent can guide you through your buying process, negotiate the best pricing, and home buyer rebate on your new home.
2. Assess Your Needs and Lay Out Your Goals: Once you hire an agent, you must discuss your budget, preferred neighborhoods, and other details. Your real estate agent needs to know what you are looking for in your dream house. This information will be the starting point of your house hunt.
3. Find a Lender and Secure Financing: Your agent will guide you through every step of your home buying process. They can offer insight regarding your financing options based on your budget and financial situation. If you have a home buying timeline, you should consider that your home loan closing can take about 30 days depending on your lender.
4. Negotiate the Best Possible Price: After you find your dream home, your realtor will help you submit an offer on the property. Your agent will also negotiate the offer for the house after the home inspection to confirm you’re getting the best deal on your new home.
Learning the best time to buy a house in California is the first step to buy your dream house. Yet, you should consider consulting a real estate agent such as one of our local Clever Partner Agents.
Fill out our form to get in touch with one of our Clever reps. One of our representatives will call you to get more information about your needs to pair you with the right local Partner Agent. Our Clever Partner Agent will be in touch to provide a no-obligation consultation to provide insight about your home buying options in California.