Whether you’re selling a home in downtown Providence or a vacation home on the beach, paying 6% in realtor fees is a lot.
That’s why some sellers use a flat fee MLS company to list their home on the MLS — the main place where realtors find homes to show their clients — in exchange for a small one-time fee.
What’s the catch?
- Less support: You manage your own sale — without a full-service agent to handle pricing, photography, paperwork, and negotiations.
- Lower sales price: For sale by owner (FSBO) homes usually sell for significantly less than homes sold by agents — 6% less on average compared to agent-represented properties.
- You still pay a buyer’s agent fee: 88% of buyers work with an agent — who still needs to get paid. In Rhode Island, you’re on the hook for 2.50% to 2.50% of the final sale price.
If you want to save on fees but aren’t ready for a do-it-yourself experience, Clever can match you with full-service realtors who work for a low flat fee of 1.5%.
Clever is the best alternative to the full DIY approach if you're in Rhode Island! You'll save thousands on listing fees, while still getting the support you need to sell your home fast AND for top dollar.
If you’re still interested in finding flat fee MLS listing options in Rhode Island, read on! We’ve reviewed the best (and worst!) services in The Ocean State.
The 5 best Rhode Island flat fee MLS companies
Entry OnlyEntry Only
Number of Photos
- Entry Only is a real estate brokerage licensed in CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, and VT that specializes in flat-fee MLS services
- You set the buyers commission (1% minimum) and pay no commission if you find the buyer
- Buyer and agent inquiries forwarded to you
- Free cancelation anytime
- Free, unlimited photo edits
- A variety of a-la-carte services like additional photos, longer listing contracts, listing on a second MLS, custom yard sign, lockbox, custom domain name, and more
|$399 - Basic
|$699 - Enhanced
$999 - Premium
Available a-la-carte services include: more photos, longer listing contract, listing on a second MLS, custom yard sign, lockbox, custom domain name, and more
- Work directly with a local broker, not a referral service
- Free cancelation anytime
- 24/7 receptionist
- Double money back guarantee if you decide to sell with a realtor Entry Only refers you to (up to $999)
- No built-in home valuation or CMA
MLS Island Rhode IslandMLS Island
Number of Photos
- MLS Island Rhode Island is part of the MLS Island network, a nationwide flat-fee MLS service
- Phone support and advice 7 days a week
- Pay no commission if you find a buyer
- All state-required documents and forms included
- Lists to the Rhode Island statewide MLS
- 6-month listing on MLS
- Syndicated to Realtor.com, RILiving.com, Homes.com, and more
- Unlimited photos
- Downloadable contracts and forms
- Professional advice and phone support
- Free open house management
- Covers all of Rhode Island
- Buyers and agents contact you directly (who find your listing on statewidemls.com, Realtor.com, RILiving.com, Homes.com, etc.)
- Limited options — only one listing package available
- No built-in support or review with contracts, disclosures, counteroffers, etc.
- Limited information available on the website (policy on listing changes and cancellations, how much — contact service directly for more details
As of August 17, 2020, no third-party review information was available for MLS Island. We will update when this information becomes available.
Number of Photos
- Beycome is a real estate brokerage that offers flat-fee MLS listing services to for sale by owner (FSBO) sellers in Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, Georgia, and Rhode Island.
- Beycome’s lower-tier programs are also offered in California and South Carolina.
- Listing will be syndicated on other sites like Realtor.com, Zillow, Redfin, IDX, and more
- Listing typically goes live within 36 hours
- Unlimited changes, photos, and no expiration on listing term
- Built-in comparative market analysis (CMA) tools
- Offers a 90-day money-back guarantee
|$99 - Flat Fee MLS
|$199 - Flat Fee MLS Premium
$299 - Flat Fee MLS Max
- All inquiries and leads directly forwarded to you
- Built-in home valuation tools
- Unlimited listing term
- 90-day money-back guarantee (unless you close, are under contract, or you receive at least 2 legitimate offers)
- Live customer support
- While beycome offers more built-in services than most flat-fee MLS companies, you’ll still get limited service and support with your listing
- Free downloads for forms and documents, but no support or legal oversight
- Flat Fee MLS Max package not offered in California or South Carolina
Number of Photos
- FSBO.com is a flat-fee MLS referral service that connects you with licensed brokerage MLSmart Realty, LLC. MLSmart Realty then refers you to a regional Rhode Island broker who will list your home on your local MLS for a pre-negotiated rate
- Set your own buyer’s agent commission (FSBO.com recommends 2-3%)
- Edit or cancel anytime (may include an additional fee)
- A-la-carte services include custom yard sign, same day MLS entry, listing on a secondary MLS, Realtor.com Showcase listing, negotiation services, and more
$399.95 - Rhode Island Flat Fee MLS
- 6-month listing on MLS
- Syndicated to Realtor.com, Zillow, Trulia, and more
- Up to 20 MLS photos
- FSBO.com Listing
- Unlimited photos on FSBO.com
- Video Upload on FSBO.com
A-la-carte options (purchased directly from local broker) include: custom yard sign, same day MLS entry, listing on a secondary MLS, Realtor.com Showcase listing, negotiation services, and more
- Set your own buyer’s agent commission
- A-la-carte services available
- Only one package to choose from
- No home valuation included
Note: As a referral service, the reviews and service quality of your local FSBO.com broker may vary. Be sure to research your broker before signing a listing agreement.
Number of Photos
- Houzeo is a flat-fee MLS referral service that connects you with Rhode Island brokers and agents who will list your home on your local MLS for a pre-negotiated rate
- Draft your listing, upload photos, set your price, and sign MLS contracts via Houzeo’s online dashboard
- Autofills listing details using publicly available info about your home to expedite the listing process
- Home valuation not included in service
- Does not require that you offer buyer’s agent commission
- Listing is typically live within 24 hours of submission
|$199 - Bronze
$299 - Silver
|$399 - Gold
- Free cancellation anytime (no refunds)
- Freedom to specify any buyer’s agent commission
- Listings typically go live within 24 hours
- Limited coverage in rural areas
- “Free changes” only apply to listing’s price, status, and property description; $10 for additional changes
As of August 7, 2020, Houzeo has an average rating of 4.8/5 based on 21 reviews on Google.
Hidden costs of flat fee MLS companies
Some companies claim to offer flat-rate MLS services but charge hidden fees at closing. We've even seen some companies that claim to offer a free MLS listing only to charge you a percentage of the sale price at closing.
These predatory practices could cost you thousands of dollars when you expect to pay only a few hundred.
Always make sure to read the fine print for any service. Look out for "closing fees" or "admin fees" that you'll owe the broker in addition to an upfront flat fee.
Further, some flat fee MLS companies offer à la carte services like photography, paperwork help, and signage. These services can reduce some of your DIY work, but watch out. These add-ons can add up!
At a certain point, you may be better off finding a full-service agent who charges a clear and upfront discounted rate.
Selling your home is difficult, even with a flat-fee MLS company to handle your listing. Add in hidden fees, a la carte services, and premium service tiers, and you'll save a lot less than you planned, but still be stuck with most of the work.
There's a better option. Clever pre-negotiates lower listing fees with top agents in your area. You still save on commission, while getting the support of a full-service agent.
- Clever partner agents offer full-service support for a fraction of the traditional cost: a 1.5% listing fee instead of the typical 2.5-3%
- Choose from the best local agents representing top regional and national brokerages, like Keller Williams and Century 21
Ready to find real estate agents who can help you save thousands on your sale? Enter your zip code below to get started!
Frequently asked questions
How much do flat fee MLS services cost in Rhode Island?
Typically, you should expect to pay about $200-500 for a flat fee MLS listing in Rhode Island. However, we've seen basic plans for as low as $99 and more comprehensive services that charge as much as $999.
Do I still need to pay the buyer's agent commission?
Although you'll save some money by not having to pay commission to a listing agent (typically 3.00% to 3.00% of the sale price), we strongly recommend offering a commission to the buyer's agent. This will incentivize agents to bring their clients to your home.
How much to offer a buyer's agent is up to you, but most buyer's agent commissions in Rhode Island range from 2.50% to 2.50%.
How do I sell by owner in Rhode Island?
California real estate laws require sellers to disclose all important information about their property, including:
- Building and safety information
- Environmental information (like erosion, noise pollution, and whether it's in a flood plain)
- Sewer and wastewater treatment
You'll share all of this information in the California Real Estate Transfer Disclosure Statement. Your listing broker will provide this document for you to fill out.
What are the alternatives to using a flat fee MLS service in Rhode Island?
Discount and flat fee real estate agents
Discount real estate brokers will list your property for as little as 1% — but keep in mind that you usually still have to pay a 2.6–3% buyer’s agent fee.
We’ve reviewed four national and regional discount brokers that operate in Rhode Island.
In Rhode Island, Clever offers low rates, with an added advantage: Clever lets you compare multiple agents from major brands like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX.
Clever matches home sellers like you with pre-vetted, full-service agents for only a 1.5% listing fee. That's half the rate agents typically charge, letting you keep thousands more in your pocket when your home sells.
Your Clever agent will handle everything for you, helping you accurately price your home, get high-quality photography, negotiate with prospective buyers, and complete paperwork.
You'll pay only a little more than you'd pay a flat fee MLS service, but you'll save hours of effort by not having to do it all yourself!
Want to find a top local agent without overpaying on realtor fees? Clever negotiates 1.5% listing fees with top-rated realtors from trusted brokerages like Keller Williams, RE/MAX, and Berkshire Hathaway.
Get guaranteed full service for a fraction of the 3% rate agents typically charge. Schedule a free, no obligation consultation with a top local agent today!
Selling without an MLS listing
It's always possible to try selling your house by owner without listing on the MLS. But this makes sense only if you already have a potential buyer lined up.
That's because not listing on your local MLS means not getting the most effective exposure for your property. MLS listings are posted to every major real estate website. Plus, real estate agents access MLS listings to find properties for their clients.
If you don't secure an MLS listing, you'll be limited to sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and relying on a yard sign.