Oklahoma Real Estate Transfer Taxes: An In-Depth Guide (2024 Update)

Jon Stubbs's Photo
By Jon Stubbs Updated March 18, 2024


Who pays transfer taxes? | When are transfer taxes paid? | Methodology

Oklahoma's current transfer tax rate is $0.75 per $500. So, for a house worth $207,178 — the median home price in the state — the transfer tax due will be $311. Local jurisdictions such as cities and counties within the state may charge an additional fee on top of the standard rate, which can cause your total dues to increase.

The specifics on who pays the transfer tax (known as the documentary stamp tax) in Oklahoma are sometimes up for negotiation, but usually the seller is responsible.

Clever Real Estate can help you cut costs here — our concierge team will partner you with an experienced agent who can help you negotiate a good deal with your buyer on transfer taxes. Not to mention, you'll save big by paying only 1.5% in commission.

💰 Find an agent who can negotiate your transfer taxes

You can't change transfer tax rates. But, an experienced Clever Real Estate agent can help you win the negotiation battle so you aren't stuck paying all of the transfer taxes on your own.

When you choose Clever, you'll work with a full-service realtor with transfer tax expertise in your local market.

Clever's service is totally free, with zero obligation — you can walk away at any time.

What Are Real Estate Transfer Taxes?

Real estate transfer taxes are taxes charged when property changes hands. It's a percentage of either the sale value or assessed value of your property, depending on what state you're in. Thirty-five states and the District of Columbia have transfer taxes.

Real estate transfer taxes are also known as real estate conveyance taxes, mortgage transfer taxes, documentary stamp taxes, and property transfer taxes. In Oklahoma, transfer taxes are called documentary stamps or doc stamps. Transfer taxes are for filing purposes and help fund land developments and HUD properties and programs.

Transfer taxes vary on a regional, state, and local level, so it's important for buyers and sellers to work with an experienced real estate agent to ensure they completely understand the transfer tax process before buying or selling property.

If you're buying property, selling property, or have inherited property, transfer taxes in your state and county are something you need to be familiar with. Speak to a Clever Partner Agent about other tax savings for buyers and sellers. They will also be able to guide you to a host of government programs and grants that can cut down on your closing costs.

» Learn More: What is real estate transfer tax? (and Who Pays It?)

Who pays transfer taxes in Oklahoma: The buyer or the seller?

Who pays the transfer tax varies from state to state and region to region. In Oklahoma, the transfer tax is customarily paid by the seller. However, Oklahoma law allows either the buyer or seller to pay the tax, so the parties can come to their own agreement during contract negotiations.

When you list your property, your real estate agent should estimate the amount of documentary stamps that will be part of the closing costs, based on the home's list price.

How Much Are Transfer Taxes in Oklahoma?

In Oklahoma, the documentary stamps are $0.75 per $500 (or 0.15%) of the sales price of the property. For median value homes in Oklahoma worth $207,178, the transfer tax would be $311.

When do you pay transfer taxes in Oklahoma?

The documentary stamps are affixed to the deed when it is recorded. At the time of recording, the county clerk must be presented with an affidavit, contract, closing statement, or other evidence of purchase price, to verify the amount of documentary stamps needed.

Can You Deduct Transfer Taxes?

Yes and no.

Unfortunately, documentary stamps and transfer taxes are not tax-deductible for the buyer or the seller, unless the property is an investment property. However, property owners can include transfer taxes in the "cost basis" of the property (the amount you paid to acquire it).

In Oklahoma, the seller generally pays the documentary stamp tax. In this situation, sellers can deduct the tax from the effective sale price of the home when computing the capital gain or loss. Raising the cost basis of the home decreases the capital gain on the sale. This will help reduce the seller's tax burden.

There is an exemption to the general rule that transfer taxes can't be deducted. If the property at issue is a rental home or real estate investment, transfer taxes can be deducted as a work expense.

Other Considerations

In addition to being familiar with the Oklahoma state documentary tax scheme, buyers and sellers need to understand the overall state and local taxation scheme where their property is located.

A Clever Partner Agent can help you navigate all the fees and taxes you will have to pay when you buy or sell property. They can also let you know about negotiating who will pay the tax, the buyer or seller.

Our partner agents know how to deal with the state’s tax and can help negotiate a deal in your favor. What’s more, our agents charge only a 1.5% listing fee compared to the state average of 3.05%! The money you'll save can more than offset the cost of the transfer taxes.

» FIND: Top Real Estate Agents in Oklahoma


  • Transfer tax amounts are based on government website information as of February 2024.
  • We gathered our listing commission rate data from a December 2023 survey of 630 of our partner agents.
  • Home values, list prices, and sale prices are based on Zillow data as of May 2024.

Related Articles

Authors & Editorial History

Our experts continually research, evaluate, and monitor real estate companies and industry trends. We update our articles when new information becomes available.

Better real estate agents at a better rate

Enter your zip code to see if Clever has a partner agent in your area
If you don't love your Clever partner agent, you can request to meet with another, or shake hands and go a different direction. We offer this because we're confident you're going to love working with a Clever Partner Agent.