Getting ready to sell your Minnesota home? Here's how long you can expect it to take — and some tips on how to speed things up (and still get a great price).
Updated February 17, 2020
- In 2020, the average time it takes to sell a home in Minnesota — from listing through closing — is approximately 70 days. That’s 35 days to get an offer, plus the typical 35-day closing period.
- Key factors that impact Minnesota home sale timelines include local market conditions (e.g., buyer demand, job market, rising home values, etc.), time of year, and your property’s type and condition.
- Your agent’s listing strategy (pricing, marketing, networking, etc.) and the buyer’s financing situation — i.e., the amount of time it takes for them to secure loan approval — will also influence how long your sale ultimately takes.
Read on to learn more about how long it takes to sell a house in Minnesota — and get some pro tips on how to speed up your sale, get better offers, and save thousands in the process.
What’s the average time to sell a house in Minnesota?
|Average Time to Sell*||Average Price**|
*Redfin Data Center (average of median days on market in 2019)
**Redfin Data Center (average of median price in 2019)
The average time it takes to sell a house in Minnesota in 2020 is 70 days — 35 days to get an offer and an additional 35 days to close. This is approximately 12.50% faster than the national average. Keep in mind that these are annual averages and the numbers will vary by month and/or season.
Best time to sell a house in Minnesota
In addition to the average days on market and list price data, we’ve compiled data on the BEST (and worst) time to sell your Minnesota house based on what’s most important to you:
- Fastest Time to Sell: When should you list your home if you’re looking to sell quickly?
- Highest Sale Price: What month should you list in to get the best possible price for your home?
Best month to sell a house fast in Minnesota
|Month*||Days on Market*|
|Best Month||June||22 days|
|Worst Month||February||56 days|
*Redfin Data Center (median days on market by month in 2019)
The best month to sell a house fast in Minnesota is June. The median time it takes for Minnesota homes listed in June to get an offer is 22 days, which is 13 days faster than the annual average.
Best month to sell a house in Minnesota for price
*Redfin Data Center (median sale price by month in 2019)
The best month to sell a house in Minnesota in terms of sale price is June. The median sale price in June is $273,000, which is 4.07% — or $10,667 — more than the annual average.
5 tips to get your Minnesota home sold
1. Time the market
The time it takes to sell fluctuates based on the time of year. In Minnesota, you’ll do best if you list your home in July, but be sure to consult with your real estate agent to discuss the best time to sell in your part of Minnesota.
2. Stage your home to sell
Most buyers get a gut instinct about a home the moment they walk in. As a seller, you need to make sure buyers feel at home immediately by staging your property. Your realtor can offer advice on how to capitalize on popular interior design trends in your area.
3. Take professional photos for your listing
Good photos of your home will make your home stand out to buyers on listing sites, so make sure you invest in a good photographer who can make your home stand out from the crowd. Take some shots of the interior and exterior, and make sure your home is tidied up before the shoot.
4. Keep your home available for showings
Once you’ve got a buyer hooked on your listing, you need to get them in the door so they can fall in love. Try to keep your schedule open so that you can accommodate as many buyers as possible.
5. Price your home competitively
One of the hardest parts of selling a home is making sure the price is right — list your home for too much, and no one will bite. List for too little, and you’ll lose out on thousands. Speak with your realtor about a comparative market analysis (CMA), which will help determine a competitive and fair price that will make your home sell like a hot cake.
Next steps for Minnesota home sellers
If you’re looking to sell your home fast in Minnesota and get a great price, Clever can help.
Clever negotiates reduced rates with top-rated real estate agents throughout Minnesota. Get full service and support for a flat $3,000 listing fee — or just 1% if your home sells for more than $350,000. You’ll still have to offer a buyer’s agent commission, per the standard rate in your area (typically 2.5-3%), but overall, you’ll still save up to 50% on standard commission fees.
Importantly, home sellers who list with Clever get their first qualified offer in an average of 13 days* — that’s 22 days faster than the average time to offer in Minnesota.
Sell your house fast and save thousands!
Work with a top local agent for a fraction of the typical cost.
*Average time to offer for Clever home sellers in 2019.
Additional resources for Minnesota home sellers
- Top We Buy Houses for Cash companies in Minnesota
- How much does it cost to sell a home in Minnesota?
- 8 steps to selling a house in Minnesota
- What’s the average real estate commission in Minnesota?