Whether you're selling a colonial in Cleveland or a Tudor in Cincinnati, paying 6% in realtor fees is a lot.
That’s why some sellers use a flat fee MLS company to list their home on the multiple listing service (MLS) — the main place where realtors find homes to show their clients — in exchange for a small one-time fee.
What’s the catch?
- Less support: You manage your own sale — without a full-service agent to handle pricing, photography, paperwork, and negotiations.
- Lower sales price: For sale by owner (FSBO) homes usually sell for significantly less than homes sold by agents — 6% less on average compared to agent-represented properties.
- You still pay a buyer’s agent fee: 88% of buyers work with an agent — who still needs to get paid. In Ohio, you’re on the hook for 1.92% to 3.31% of the final sale price.
If you want to save on fees but aren’t ready for a do-it-yourself experience, Clever can match you with full-service realtors who work for a low flat fee of 1.5%.
Clever is the best alternative to the full DIY approach if you're in Ohio! You'll save thousands on listing fees, while still getting the support you need to sell your home fast AND for top dollar.
If you’re still interested in finding flat fee MLS listing options in Ohio, read on! We’ve reviewed the best (and worst) services in The Buckeye State.
The 4 best Ohio flat fee MLS companies*
Ohio Property GroupOhio Property Group
- Your listing will be launched within 48 hours and can be cancelled at any time with no penalty.
- Premium packages have access to a showing and feedback app that solicits viewer responses, helping you improve if your home isn't selling straight away.
- All packages allow for 25 or more photos.
- The basic package does not include offer/counter-offer forms or response templates, so additional services will be necessary.
Team Results RealtyTeam Results Realty
- Every package provides the MLS maximum photo limit, allowing you to upload as many photos as you'd like.
- Buyer leads are automatically fowarded to the seller's email address.
- Pricing is competitive - if you find a better listing offer somewhere else, they'll reduce their fee to compensate for the difference.
- The listing doesn't allow for free seller-hosted open houses without an additional fee.
- Direct calls from buyer leads aren't passed on automatically, so you might not hear from potential buyers quickly.
Flat Fee RealtyFlat Fee Realty
- Your listing comes with all the state seller's disclosures that you'll need.
- You can pay a little more to post up to 25 photos on the MLS instead of the standard six.
- Flat Fee Realty doesn't offer any pricing or contract assistance.
- The company won't be your listing broker. Instead, they'll refer you to a Montana-based broker who will list your property. If you have problems or questions, you'll end up talking to two companies instead of just one.
- You can fill out, sign, and submit all your seller's paperwork on the Houzeo app.
- When you enter your address, Houzeo auto-fills publicly available data about your property.
- Houzeo lets you buy additional services like contract reviews, agent showings, and professional showings a la carte.
- You have to pay extra for pricing assistance — several local competitors offer this for free.
- You're limited to 10 free changes for price, status, and description in their two most popular packages. Most competitors offer unlimited free changes.
Flat fee MLS companies in Ohio by city
In Ohio, you'll also find some smaller flat fee listing companies that specialize in particular cities. These uber-local companies are more likely to offer flexible service packages and to bring more area expertise than the big guys.
Every Ohio flat fee MLS service is different. Always make sure to read the fine print when evaluating offerings to make sure you're getting a fair deal.
Flat fee MLS companies in Cincinnati
Cincinnati offers a few local MLS listing options, with many companies also available at a statewide level. Pricing for flat fee MLS listings begins at $200 and can rise with premium offers up to $1,000.
» EXPLORE: The Best Cincinnati Flat Fee MLS Companies
Flat fee MLS companies in Columbus
MLS listing companies in Columbus also tend to be widely available at the state level, with few city-specific companies.
» EXPLORE: The Best Columbus Flat Fee MLS Companies
Flat fee MLS companies in Dayton
Flat fee MLS companies in Dayton are more limited, but statewide listing options are still available to anyone within the city.
» EXPLORE: The Best Dayton Flat Fee MLS Companies
Hidden costs of flat fee MLS companies
Some companies claim to offer flat fee MLS listings but charge hidden fees at closing. We've even seen some companies that claim to offer a free MLS listing only to charge you a percentage of the sale price at closing.
These predatory practices could cost you thousands of dollars when you expect to pay only a few hundred.
Always make sure to read the fine print for any service. Look out for "closing fees" or "admin fees" that you'll owe the broker in addition to an upfront flat fee.
Further, some flat fee MLS companies offer à la carte services, like photography, paperwork help, and signage, that you’d typically get with a traditional real estate agent. These services can reduce some of your DIY work, but watch out. These add-ons can add up!
At a certain point, you may be better off finding a full-service agent who charges a clear and upfront discounted rate.
Selling your home is difficult, even with a flat-fee MLS company to handle your listing. Add in hidden fees, a la carte services, and premium service tiers, and you'll save a lot less than you planned, but still be stuck with most of the work.
There's a better option. Clever pre-negotiates lower listing fees with top agents in your area. You still save on commission, while getting the support of a full-service agent.
- Clever partner agents offer full-service support for a fraction of the traditional cost: a 1.5% listing fee instead of the typical 2.5-3%
- Choose from the best local agents representing top regional and national brokerages, like Keller Williams and Century 21
Ready to find real estate agents who can help you save thousands on your sale? Enter your zip code below to get started!
What are the alternatives to using a flat fee MLS service in Ohio?
Discount and flat fee real estate agents
A discount real estate broker will list your property for as little as 1% — but keep in mind that you usually still have to pay a 2.6–3% buyer’s agent fee.
We’ve reviewed four national and regional discount brokers that operate in Ohio.
In Ohio, Clever offers low rates, with an added advantage: Clever lets you compare multiple agents from major brands like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX.
Clever matches home sellers like you with pre-vetted, full-service agents for only a 1.5% listing fee. That's half the rate agents typically charge, letting you keep thousands more in your pocket when your home sells.
Your Clever agent will handle everything for you, helping you accurately price your home, get high-quality photography, negotiate with prospective buyers, and complete paperwork.
You'll pay only a little more than you'd pay a flat fee MLS service, but you'll save hours of effort by not having to do everything yourself!
Want to find a top local agent without overpaying on realtor fees? Clever negotiates 1.5% listing fees with top-rated realtors from trusted brokerages like Keller Williams, RE/MAX, and Berkshire Hathaway.
Get guaranteed full service for a fraction of the 3% rate agents typically charge. Schedule a free, no obligation consultation with a top local agent today!
Selling without an MLS listing
It's always possible to try selling your house by owner without listing on the MLS. But this makes sense only if you already have a potential buyer lined up.
That's because not listing on your local MLS means not getting the most effective exposure for your property. MLS listings are posted to every major real estate website. Plus, real estate agents access MLS listings to find properties for their clients.
If you don't secure an MLS listing, you'll be limited to sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and relying on a yard sign.
Frequently asked questions about Ohio flat fee MLS companies
How much do flat fee MLS services cost in Ohio?
Typically, you can expect to pay about $300-500 for a flat fee MLS listing in Ohio. However, we've seen basic plans for as low as $260 and more comprehensive services that charge as much as $1,000.
Do I still need to pay the buyer's agent commission?
We strongly recommend offering a commission to the buyer's agent. This will incentivize agents to bring their clients to your home. With a flat fee MLS service, you'll still save money by not paying commission to a listing agent (typically 2.49% to 3.89% of the sale price).
How much to offer a buyer's agent is up to you, but their commission in Ohio ranges from 1.92% to 3.31%.
How do I sell by owner in Ohio?
Ohio real estate laws require sellers to disclose all important information about their property, including:
- Building and safety information
- Environmental information (like erosion, noise pollution, and whether it's in a flood plain)
- Sewer and wastewater treatment
You'll make these disclosures by filling out the Residential Property Disclosure Form. Potential buyers will review this document to make sure the property is free of deal-breaking flaws. You can either get this form from your listing broker or download it directly from the Ohio state legislature.
What is the best flat fee MLS listing service in Ohio?
We rank Ohio Property Group as the best flat fee MLS listing service in Ohio. The company offers high photo limits, unlimited listing changes, and a flexible cancellation policy. Unlike many Ohio flat fee MLS listing companies, Ohio Property Group also solicits feedback from viewers to help you improve your listing. Team Results Realty, Flat Fee Realty, and Houzeo are other solid flat fee listing services in Ohio. See our full ranking of the top Ohio flat fee MLS services!
How do I get access to the MLS in Ohio?
Only an individual or company with a real estate license can post on the local multiple listing service (MLS). Most sellers rely on a real estate agent to list their home on the MLS, but you can also use a flat fee MLS listing company. However, unlike a traditional real estate agent, a flat fee listing service doesn't provide much help with your sale. Beyond the MLS listing itself, flat fee services often offer add-ons like marketing materials, downloadable forms, and pricing assistance, but you'll have to pay extra for them. Learn more about flat fee MLS listing companies in Ohio!
What is a flat fee MLS company?
A flat fee MLS company posts your property to the multiple listing service in exchange for a flat fee, which can range from a couple hundred dollars to about $1,000. The amount you pay typically depends on the level of service an MLS listing company offers. Cheaper options tend to offer a listing on the local MLS, but with lower photo limits and more restrictive terms. If you want services like unlimited listing changes, higher photo limits, and listing broker support, expect to pay more. Learn more about flat fee MLS companies.