📊 The data:
We surveyed local agents and found that the average real estate commission in South Dakota is 5.66%, which is higher than the national average of 5.37%.
To sell a house in South Dakota worth $296,096 — the median home value in South Dakota — you’ll pay about $16,759 in realtor fees.
Realtor commission is usually the largest cost you'll face when selling your home — but you don't have to pay the full 5.66%.
Clever Real Estate could help you save thousands on commission by pre-negotiating 1.5% listing fees with full-service South Dakota realtors from top brokerages.
On that same $296,096 home — you'd pay just $11,000, up to 34% less than paying average rates.
How real estate agent commission works
|Average listing commission||2.96%|
|Average buyer's agent commission||2.70%|
|Total average commission||5.66%|
There are usually two real estate agents involved in a home sale:
- The seller's agent (also called the listing agent), who represents the home seller
- The buyer's agent, who represents the person buying the home
Based on our research, the average commission rate for listing agents is 2.96% of the final home price and 2.70% for buyer's agents, for a total of 5.66%.
» LEARN: How do real estate commissions work?
Who pays realtor fees in South Dakota?
In South Dakota, home sellers pay real estate commission fees out of the final sale proceeds for both agents involved in a deal. Offering to pay for the buyer's agent's commission is an incentive for agents to show your home to their clients.
If you'd like to save on commissions, Clever can connect you with a top listing agent in your area. You'll pay just 1.5% (or $3,000), keeping more money in your pocket at the end of your sale.
Want to find a top local agent in South Dakota without overpaying on realtor fees? Clever negotiates 1.5% listing fees with top-rated South Dakota real estate agents from trusted brokerages like Keller Williams, RE/MAX, and Berkshire Hathaway.
Get guaranteed full service for a fraction of the 2.96% rate South Dakota agents typically charge. Schedule a free, no obligation consultation with a top local agent today!
How to save on realtor fees in South Dakota
Commission rates are not set in stone. In fact, we found that while 5.66% is the average in South Dakota, rates typically fall between 4.54% and 6.80%. You can save money by negotiating a lower rate with your listing agent or by working with brokerage that has a discounted commission model.
|Listing commission range||2.40%– 3.53%|
|Buyer's agent commission||2.14%– 3.27%|
|Total commission range||4.54%– 6.80%|
Tips for negotiating realtor commission in South Dakota
Whether you’re selling a duplex in Aberdeen, a commercial property in Sioux Falls, or a cottage in Rapid City, you can almost always save thousands by negotiating a lower commission rate.
Negotiating a lower realtor percentage in South Dakota depends on two main factors: your situation and the housing market.
|Factor||You may have an easier time negotiating low rates if...|
|The South Dakota housing market||
While your personal situation will obviously vary, South Dakota real estate market conditions will affect all home sellers in your area.
In general, in a seller's market — where home sellers have more leverage than buyers — a listing agent's job is easier and they may be more willing to lower their commission rates. The opposite is usually true in a buyer's market.
To judge the current state of your real estate market, look at these three factors:
- Months of inventory
- Sale to list price
- Home value trends
If every factor points to South Dakota being a seller's market, then you may be in a good position to negotiate a lower commission rate with your agent. If market conditions are mixed or favor buyers, it may be more challenging to persuade your realtor to accept a cheaper fee.
The current state of the South Dakota real estate market
|Months of inventory||There's 5.2 months of housing inventory on the market||Neutral market|
|Home values||Home values have risen 40.21% year over year||Seller's market|
Low commission real estate companies in South Dakota
Negotiating a lower rate with a professional negotiator can be hard! In many cases, home sellers can save just as much (or more!) by selling with a low commission real estate company.
These are some of the top discount and flat-fee MLS services in South Dakota.
The top discount real estate companies in South Dakota
Discount real estate companies typically offer full-service support for a reduced commission percentage or flat rate. How they create those discounts will depend on the company's model, with some creating more risks and trade-offs than others.
Clever Real EstateGet Started
💲 Listing Fee
💰 Avg. Savings
⭐ Avg. Customer Rating
Clever is a quick, easy, and free way to find a top-rated local agent. And, unlike many similar companies, Clever pre-negotiates big discounts on your behalf, so you can save thousands without sacrificing on service. Try Clever for free — save thousands on commission.
- Clever offers a free, nationwide agent-matching service that partners with full-service local agents from conventional brokerages like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX.
- You get multiple agent matches so you can interview, compare marketing plans, and choose the best fit.
- Clever pre-negotiates low rates on your behalf — you get full service for a low 1.5% listing fee.
- If you buy with Clever, you could get cash back after closing.
- You may not get matched with an agent from your preferred real estate brokerage.
- Agents may not provide premium services like drone photography and professional home staging.
Clever has a 4.9 out of 5 rating on Trustpilot, based on 1,710 reviews.
Clever has pre-negotiated low commission rates with top agents in all 50 states and Washington, DC.
💲 Listing Fee
💰 Avg. Savings
⭐ Avg. Customer Rating
Redfin offers real savings and is a proven brand. But sellers could compromise on service — especially agent experience and availability.
- If you buy and sell with Redfin, you'll get a 0.5% listing fee discount.
- Redfin gives its listings premium placement in its popular home search app.
- If finding the right agent is a top priority, you'll have limited options — Redfin only has a few agents in each of its markets.
- Redfin agents handle more customers at once than the average realtor, so they may not be able to provide as much personalized service.
Redfin has a 3.8 out of 5 rating (425 reviews) across popular review sites like Google and Yelp.
Redfin is available in 80+ U.S. markets (see all locations).
The top flat fee MLS listing services in South Dakota
Flat fee MLS services list your home on your local MLS for a low fee, often around $100–$300. The trade-off is that you'll have to handle almost the entire home-selling process yourself.
Flat Fee GroupFlat Fee Group
- All seller leads are automatically forwarded to you, either via phone or email.
- A combination keybox is available in all packages for free, with a smartphone-accessible electronic keybox available for a small upgrade fee.
- The broker will host open houses for the seller for a fee (or available in the premium packages).
- The basic package does not include a yard sign or photography/video services.
- You're limited to two open houses throughout the course of your listing.
Flat Fee RealtyFlat Fee Realty
- Your listing comes with all the state seller's disclosures that you'll need.
- You can pay a little more to post up to 25 photos on the MLS instead of the standard six.
- Flat Fee Realty doesn't offer any pricing or contract assistance.
- The company won't be your listing broker. Instead, they'll refer you to a Montana-based broker who will list your property. If you have problems or questions, you'll end up talking to two companies instead of just one.
Home to iconic Mount Rushmore, South Dakota is a jewel of the Great Plains. The sixth-smallest state by population, it nevertheless has a thriving economy, a growing tourism industry, and one of the most unspoiled natural environments in North America.
The housing market in South Dakota is very healthy, with median home values rising more than 50% over the past decade. Much of this is driven by stellar employment and positive in-migration, as people move to South Dakota to take advantage of the low cost of living and high quality of life. While it may not have the explosive growth of, say, California or Washington, D.C., it’s still a great market to buy into — and at a very affordable price point.
If you want to save thousands of dollars of commission on your South Dakota home sale, Clever pre-negotiates a low 1.5% commission rate, or a flat fee of $3,000, and they only work with top agents in South Dakota. Contact Clever today to get started on your commission savings!
Clever can connect you with top local agents sell your house for a pre-negotiated low rate: just a 1.5% listing fee when your home sells (half the typical rate!).
You can interview your Clever agent matches, get free pricing estimates, and compare marketing plans — all with no strings attached.
Ready to learn more? Click below to take our simple quiz and see your agent matches!
We gathered our commission rate data from a survey of 630 of our partner agents. The survey asked about standard local rates for both listing and buying agents.
Additionally, we utilized the following data from Zillow and Realtor.com:
- Home values, list prices, and sale prices: Based on Zillow data as of July 2023
- Sale prices and sale-to-list ratios: Based on Redfin data as of February 2023 (unless specified otherwise)
- Months of inventory: Based on Realtor.com data as of February 2023
Additional resources for South Dakota home sellers