📊 The data:
We surveyed local agents and found that the average real estate commission in Montana is 5.36%, which is about equal to the national average of 5.37%.
To sell a house in Montana worth $447,068 — the median home value in Montana — you’ll pay about $23,963 in realtor fees.
Realtor commission is usually the largest cost you'll face when selling your home — but you don't have to pay the full 5.36%.
Clever Real Estate could help you save thousands on commission by pre-negotiating 1.5% listing fees with full-service Montana realtors from top brokerages.
On that same $447,068 home — you'd pay just $16,500, up to 31% less than paying average rates.
How real estate agent commission works
|Average listing commission||2.68%|
|Average buyer's agent commission||2.68%|
|Total average commission||5.36%|
There are usually two real estate agents involved in a home sale:
- The seller's agent (also called the listing agent), who represents the home seller
- The buyer's agent, who represents the person buying the home
Based on our research, the average commission rate for listing agents is 2.68% of the final home price and 2.68% for buyer's agents, for a total of 5.36%.
» LEARN: How do real estate commissions work?
Who pays realtor fees in Montana?
In Montana, home sellers pay real estate commission fees out of the final sale proceeds for both agents involved in a deal. Offering to pay for the buyer's agent's commission is an incentive for agents to show your home to their clients.
If you'd like to save on commissions, Clever can connect you with a top listing agent in your area. You'll pay just 1.5% (or $3,000 if your home sells for less than $350,000), keeping more money in your pocket at the end of your sale.
Want to find a top local agent in Montana without overpaying on realtor fees? Clever negotiates 1.5% listing fees with top-rated Montana real estate agents from trusted brokerages like Keller Williams, RE/MAX, and Berkshire Hathaway.
Get guaranteed full service for a fraction of the 2.68% rate Montana agents typically charge. Schedule a free, no obligation consultation with a top local agent today!
How to save on realtor fees in Montana
Commission rates are not set in stone. In fact, we found that while 5.36% is the average in Montana, rates typically fall between 4.60% and 6.12%. You can save money by negotiating a lower rate with your listing agent or by working with brokerage that has a discounted commission model.
|Listing commission range||2.30%– 3.06%|
|Buyer's agent commission||2.30%– 3.06%|
|Total commission range||4.60%– 6.12%|
Tips for negotiating realtor commission in Montana
Whether you’re selling a rental property in Missoula, a ranch in Butte, or a vacation home in Kalispell, you can almost always negotiate a lower commission rate — if you know how to do so!
Negotiating a lower realtor percentage in Montana depends on two main factors: your situation and the housing market.
|Factor||You may have an easier time negotiating low rates if...|
|The Montana housing market||
While your personal situation will obviously vary, Montana real estate market conditions will affect all home sellers in your area.
In general, in a seller's market — where home sellers have more leverage than buyers — a listing agent's job is easier and they may be more willing to lower their commission rates. The opposite is usually true in a buyer's market.
To judge the current state of your real estate market, look at these three factors:
- Months of inventory
- Sale to list price
- Home value trends
If every factor points to Montana being a seller's market, then you may be in a good position to negotiate a lower commission rate with your agent. If market conditions are mixed or favor buyers, it may be more challenging to persuade your realtor to accept a cheaper fee.
The current state of the Montana real estate market
|Months of inventory||There's 2.0 months of housing inventory on the market||Seller's market|
|Home values||Home values have risen 57.91% year over year||Seller's market|
Low commission real estate companies in Montana
Negotiating a lower rate with a professional negotiator can be hard! In many cases, home sellers can save just as much (or more!) by selling with a low commission real estate company.
These are some of the top discount and flat-fee MLS services in Montana.
The top discount real estate companies in Montana
Discount real estate companies typically offer full-service support for a reduced commission percentage or flat rate. How they create those discounts will depend on the company's model, with some creating more risks and trade-offs than others.
Clever Real EstateGet Started
💲 Listing Fee
💰 Avg. Savings
⭐ Avg. Customer Rating
Clever is a quick, easy, and free way to find a top-rated local agent. And, unlike many similar companies, Clever pre-negotiates big discounts on your behalf, so you can save thousands without sacrificing on service.
- Clever offers a free, nationwide agent-matching service that partners with full-service local agents from conventional brokerages like Keller Williams, Century 21, and RE/MAX.
- You get multiple agent matches so you can interview, compare marketing plans, and choose the best fit.
- Clever pre-negotiates low rates on your behalf — you get full service for a low 1.5% listing fee.
- If you buy with Clever, you could get cash back after closing.
- You may not get matched with an agent from your preferred real estate brokerage.
- Agents may not provide premium services like drone photography and professional home staging.
Clever has a 4.9 out of 5 rating on Trustpilot, based on 1,710 reviews.
Clever has pre-negotiated low commission rates with top agents in all 50 states and Washington, DC.
💲 Listing Fee
💰 Avg. Savings
⭐ Avg. Customer Rating
Redfin offers real savings and is a proven brand. But sellers could compromise on service — especially agent experience and availability.
- If you buy and sell with Redfin, you'll get a 0.5% listing fee discount.
- Redfin gives its listings premium placement in its popular home search app.
- If finding the right agent is a top priority, you'll have limited options — Redfin only has a few agents in each of its markets.
- Redfin agents handle more customers at once than the average realtor, so they may not be able to provide as much personalized service.
Redfin has a 3.8 out of 5 rating (425 reviews) across popular review sites like Google and Yelp.
Redfin is available in 80+ U.S. markets (see all locations).
The top flat fee MLS listing services in Montana
Flat fee MLS services list your home on your local MLS for a low fee, often around $100–$300. The trade-off is that you'll have to handle almost the entire home-selling process yourself.
Montana Flat Fee MLSMontana Flat Fee MLS
- Listing status changes are free at any time.
- The premium package offers a high-impact photo listing.
- No pricing assistance or agent support is available in any packages.
- No refunds are available, even if your home doesn't sell or you choose to pursue a full-service option.
Flat Fee RealtyFlat Fee Realty
- Your listing comes with all the state seller's disclosures that you'll need.
- You can pay a little more to post up to 25 photos on the MLS instead of the standard six.
- Flat Fee Realty doesn't offer any pricing or contract assistance.
- The company won't be your listing broker. Instead, they'll refer you to a Montana-based broker who will list your property. If you have problems or questions, you'll end up talking to two companies instead of just one.
Montana is known as Big Sky Country for a reason — it features some of the most unspoiled natural country in the U.S. Boasting both Glacier and Yellowstone national parks, Montana also offers world-class hunting and fishing, and a culture known for its staunch individualism.
Even though it’s sparsely-populated, and far from major population centers, Montana has enough appeal that state home values are well above the national average. They’ve nearly doubled over the past decade, and inventory is low. Coupled with a strong economy and in-migration that’s triple the national average, this is a great market to buy or sell in.
If you want to save thousands of dollars of commission on your Montana home sale, Clever pre-negotiates a low 1.5% commission rate, or a flat fee. Clever only works with top full-service agents in Montana. Contact Clever today to get started on your commission savings!
Clever can connect you with top local agents sell your house for a pre-negotiated low rate: just a 1.5% listing fee when your home sells (half the typical rate!).
You can interview your Clever agent matches, get free pricing estimates, and compare marketing plans — all with no strings attached.
Ready to learn more? Click below to take our simple quiz and see your agent matches!
We gathered our commission rate data from a survey of 630 of our partner agents. The survey asked about standard local rates for both listing and buying agents.
Additionally, we utilized the following data from Zillow and Realtor.com:
- Home values, list prices, and sale prices: Based on Zillow data as of July 2023
- Months of inventory: Based on Realtor.com data as of February 2023
Additional resources for Montana home sellers