Getting ready to sell your New York home? Here’s how long you can expect it to take — and some tips on how to speed things up (and still get a great price).
Updated February 17, 2020
- In 2020, the average time it takes to sell a home in New York — from listing through closing — is approximately 89 days. That’s 54 days to get an offer, plus the typical 35-day closing period.
- Key factors that impact New York home sale timelines include local market conditions (e.g., buyer demand, job market, rising home values, etc.), time of year, and your property’s type and condition.
- Your agent’s listing strategy (pricing, marketing, networking, etc.) and the buyer’s financing situation — i.e., the amount of time it takes for them to secure loan approval — will also influence how long your sale ultimately takes.
Read on to learn more about how long it takes to sell a house in New York — and get some pro tips on how to speed up your sale, get better offers, and save thousands in the process.
What’s the average time to sell a house in New York?
|Average Time to Sell*||Average Price**|
*Redfin Data Center (average of median days on market in 2019)
**Redfin Data Center (average of median price in 2019)
The average time it takes to sell a house in New York in 2020 is 89 days — 54 days to get an offer and an additional 35 days to close. This is approximately 11.25% slower than the national average. Keep in mind that these are annual averages and the numbers will vary by month and/or season.
Best time to sell a house in New York
In addition to the average days on market and list price data, we’ve compiled data on the BEST (and worst) time to sell your New York house based on what’s most important to you:
- Fastest Time to Sell: When should you list your home if you’re looking to sell quickly?
- Highest Sale Price: What month should you list in to get the best possible price for your home?
Best month to sell a house fast in New York
|Month*||Days on Market*|
|Best Month||July||43 days|
|Worst Month||February||70 days|
*Redfin Data Center (median days on market by month in 2019)
The best month to sell a house fast in New York is July. The median time it takes for New York homes listed in July to get an offer is 43 days, which is 11 days faster than the annual average.
Best month to sell a house in New York for price
*Redfin Data Center (median sale price by month in 2019)
The best month to sell a house in New York in terms of sale price is June. The median sale price in June is $406,000, which is 8.77% — or $32,750 — more than the annual average.
5 tips to get your New York home sold
1. Time the market
In real estate, when you sell is often just as important as what you sell. If you don't sell at the right time, you can leave a lot of profit on the table. Speak with your realtor to determine the optimal selling time based on your local market trends.
2. Stage your home to sell
Most buyers begin deciding if they'll make a purchase as soon as they walk in the front door. As a seller, you need to stage your home to help buyers see your house as their new home. It's often worthwhile to hire an interior designer to help decorate the inside of your home to make it more welcoming.
3. Take professional photos for your listing
Your listing photos are going to be the main thing that catches a buyer's attention when they're scrolling through hundreds of listings. Make sure you hire a professional photographer to take some great pics of the interior and exterior of your home - and make sure you tidy up and stage your home before they do so!
4. Keep your home available for showings
If you don't make time in your schedule for showings, buyers are never going to have a chance to fall in love with your home. Even though it may be inconvenient or bothersome at times, make sure you make an effort to accomodate buyers when they want to make a visit.
5. Price your home competitively
Pricing your home competitively is incredibly important to the success of your sale. Price it too high, and buyers will just breeze right over it. Price it too low, and you're going to lose thousands in profits. Speak with your realtor about doing a comparative market analysis to help price your home.
Next steps for New York home sellers
If you’re looking to sell your home fast in New York and get a great price, Clever can help.
Clever negotiates reduced rates with top-rated real estate agents throughout New York. Get full service and support for a flat $3,000 listing fee — or just 1% if your home sells for more than $350,000. You’ll still have to offer a buyer’s agent commission, per the standard rate in your area (typically 2.5-3%), but overall, you’ll still save up to 50% on standard commission fees.
Importantly, home sellers who list with Clever get their first qualified offer in an average of 13 days* — that’s 41 days faster than the average time to offer in New York.
Sell your house fast and save thousands!
Work with a top local agent for a fraction of the typical cost.
*Average time to offer for Clever home sellers in 2019.
Additional resources for New York home sellers
- Top We Buy Houses for Cash companies in New York
- How much does it cost to sell a home in New York?
- 8 steps to selling a house in New York
- What’s the average real estate commission in New York?