Getting ready to sell your New Mexico home? Here’s how long you can expect it to take — and some tips on how to speed things up (and still get a great price).
Updated February 17, 2020
- In 2020, the average time it takes to sell a home in New Mexico — from listing through closing — is approximately 103 days. That’s 68 days to get an offer, plus the typical 35-day closing period.
- Key factors that impact New Mexico home sale timelines include local market conditions (e.g., buyer demand, job market, rising home values, etc.), time of year, and your property’s type and condition.
- Your agent’s listing strategy (pricing, marketing, networking, etc.) and the buyer’s financing situation — i.e., the amount of time it takes for them to secure loan approval — will also influence how long your sale ultimately takes.
Read on to learn more about how long it takes to sell a house in New Mexico — and get some pro tips on how to speed up your sale, get better offers, and save thousands in the process.
What’s the average time to sell a house in New Mexico?
|Average Time to Sell*||Average Price**|
*Redfin Data Center (average of median days on market in 2019)
**Redfin Data Center (average of median price in 2019)
The average time it takes to sell a house in New Mexico in 2020 is 103 days — 68 days to get an offer and an additional 35 days to close. This is approximately 28.75% slower than the national average. Keep in mind that these are annual averages and the numbers will vary by month and/or season.
Best time to sell a house in New Mexico
In addition to the average days on market and list price data, we’ve compiled data on the BEST (and worst) time to sell your New Mexico house based on what’s most important to you:
- Fastest Time to Sell: When should you list your home if you’re looking to sell quickly?
- Highest Sale Price: What month should you list in to get the best possible price for your home?
Best month to sell a house fast in New Mexico
|Month*||Days on Market*|
|Best Month||June||48 days|
|Worst Month||March||98 days|
*Redfin Data Center (median days on market by month in 2019)
The best month to sell a house fast in New Mexico is June. The median time it takes for New Mexico homes listed in June to get an offer is 48 days, which is 20 days faster than the annual average.
Best month to sell a house in New Mexico for price
*Redfin Data Center (median sale price by month in 2019)
The best month to sell a house in New Mexico in terms of sale price is June. The median sale price in June is $417,000, which is 4.58% — or $18,250 — more than the annual average.
5 tips to get your New Mexico home sold
1. Price your home competitively
Nothing can kill the home sale like an overpriced, inflated number. Your Clever Partner Agent will provide a competitive market analysis (CMA) so you can get a better feel for what homes nearby sell for. Ensuring yours is priced to sell and to make you a profit.
If you need to sell fast, you might not have a ton of time for an entire overhaul or revamp. Check out trending color palettes and paint rooms accordingly. This inexpensive update can work wonders for the image of the home.
3. Xeriscape your lot
The first thing potential buyers see is the yard. New Mexico lacks water and precipitation. A lush yard that requires lots of watering may be a turnoff. Native desert plants that thrive in arid climates could be the ticket to increasing curb appeal.
4. Stage your home to sell
Hire a professional stager to use your furniture and decor, or rent a storage unit and store your stuff while the stager furnishes your home with neutral, appealing pieces.
5. Be accommodating
A flexible schedule will allow you to set tours, open houses, and private showings. The more people that see your home, the greater your chances are of selling.
Next steps for New Mexico home sellers
If you’re looking to sell your home fast in New Mexico and get a great price, Clever can help.
Clever negotiates reduced rates with top-rated real estate agents throughout New Mexico. Get full service and support for a flat $3,000 listing fee — or just 1% if your home sells for more than $350,000. You’ll still have to offer a buyer’s agent commission, per the standard rate in your area (typically 2.5-3%), but overall, you’ll still save up to 50% on standard commission fees.
Importantly, home sellers who list with Clever get their first qualified offer in an average of 13 days* — that’s 55 days faster than the average time to offer in New Mexico.
Sell your house fast and save thousands!
Work with a top local agent for a fraction of the typical cost.
*Average time to offer for Clever home sellers in 2019.
Additional resources for New Mexico home sellers
- Top We Buy Houses for Cash companies in New Mexico
- How much does it cost to sell a home in New Mexico?
- 8 steps to selling a house in New Mexico
- What’s the average real estate commission in New Mexico?