Getting ready to sell your Colorado home? Here's how long you can expect it to take — and some tips on how to speed things up (and still get a great price).
Updated February 17, 2020
- In 2020, the average time it takes to sell a home in Colorado — from listing through closing — is approximately 64 days. That’s 29 days to get an offer, plus the typical 35-day closing period.
- Key factors that impact Colorado home sale timelines include local market conditions (e.g., buyer demand, job market, rising home values, etc.), time of year, and your property’s type and condition.
- Your agent’s listing strategy (pricing, marketing, networking, etc.) and the buyer’s financing situation — i.e., the amount of time it takes for them to secure loan approval — will also influence how long your sale ultimately takes.
Read on to learn more about how long it takes to sell a house in Colorado — and get some pro tips on how to speed up your sale, get better offers, and save thousands in the process.
What’s the average time to sell a house in Colorado?
|Average Time to Sell*||Average Price**|
*Redfin Data Center (average of median days on market in 2019)
**Redfin Data Center (average of median price in 2019)
The average time it takes to sell a house in Colorado in 2020 is 64 days — 29 days to get an offer and an additional 35 days to close. This is approximately 20.00% faster than the national average. Keep in mind that these are annual averages and the numbers will vary by month and/or season.
Best time to sell a house in Colorado
In addition to the average days on market and list price data, we’ve compiled data on the BEST (and worst) time to sell your Colorado house based on what’s most important to you:
- Fastest Time to Sell: When should you list your home if you’re looking to sell quickly?
- Highest Sale Price: What month should you list in to get the best possible price for your home?
Best month to sell a house fast in Colorado
|Month*||Days on Market*|
|Best Month||May||19 days|
|Worst Month||January||43 days|
*Redfin Data Center (median days on market by month in 2019)
The best month to sell a house fast in Colorado is May. The median time it takes for Colorado homes listed in May to get an offer is 19 days, which is 10 days faster than the annual average.
Best month to sell a house in Colorado for price
*Redfin Data Center (median sale price by month in 2019)
The best month to sell a house in Colorado in terms of sale price is June. The median sale price in June is $428,000, which is 2.88% — or $12,000 — more than the annual average.
5 tips to get your Colorado home sold
1. Fix or replace your roof
Late spring and early summer hail storms have been known to total a few cars and blow holes through roofs. Check your roof for hail damage and consult with your home insurance agent to see if you qualify for a covered repair or replacement.
Colorado experiences a range of weather all year round. Often times, older homes bear testament to the dynamic patterns and might scare potential buyers off.
3. Play to the crowd
People move to Colorado to start or grow their families, embrace the young urban professional lifestyle, or to escape cities and find solitude in nature. Stage and market your home accordingly by showcasing the location, renovations, or space, depending on the target audience.
4. Clean your windows
Colorado is known for its abundant sunshine. Showcase your home’s seamless transition into nature by having clean windows to let the outside, in.
5. Revamp the exterior entertaining spaces
Potential buyers will be better able to envision themselves in your home if the exterior patios, porches, or entertaining spaces are spruced up and depersonalized. Many Coloradans are here for the outdoors and to maximize the summer by hanging outside with friends and family.
Next steps for Colorado home sellers
If you’re looking to sell your home fast in Colorado and get a great price, Clever can help.
Clever negotiates reduced rates with top-rated real estate agents throughout Colorado. Get full service and support for a flat $3,000 listing fee — or just 1% if your home sells for more than $350,000. You’ll still have to offer a buyer’s agent commission, per the standard rate in your area (typically 2.5-3%), but overall, you’ll still save up to 50% on standard commission fees.
Importantly, home sellers who list with Clever get their first qualified offer in an average of 13 days* — that’s 16 days faster than the average time to offer in Colorado.
Sell your house fast and save thousands!
Work with a top local agent for a fraction of the typical cost.
*Average time to offer for Clever home sellers in 2019.
Additional resources for Colorado home sellers
- Top We Buy Houses for Cash companies in Colorado
- How much does it cost to sell a home in Colorado?
- 8 steps to selling a house in Colorado
- What’s the average real estate commission in Colorado?