If you consider yourself a chef, then it’s likely that you will want to include a chef’s kitchen in your home. In this article, we will walk you through the basics of a chef’s kitchen, including typical products and costs.
This way, whether you are hoping to purchase a home that already has your dream kitchen, or upgrade your current home to include one, you will be totally in the know.
What is a chef’s kitchen?
As you tour houses (or even just watch real estate shows on TV), you might realize that a lot of people use the term “chef’s kitchen” quite loosely.
However, here are the main features of a chef’s kitchen:
- Enough space so that multiple people are able to comfortably prepare food simultaneously. Ever heard the phrase “too many cooks in the kitchen?” If you have a chef’s kitchen in your home, this will never apply to you. Usually, kitchen designers accomplish this by including an open floor plan, lots of counter space, and a few kitchen islands.
- A sub-zero refrigerator and freezer. These kinds of appliances keep food fresher, longer.
- A gas stovetop that has extremely high Btu (British thermal unit) capabilities. This means that the stovetop has brighter, hotter flames. Because of this, you have the ability to cook food more quickly than in a standard kitchen. For example, a usual stove has a Btu of about 7,000, but certain brands can reach over 23,000. This comes in handy for boiling water nearly instantly.
- Multiple ovens. Most chef’s kitchens at home also have different kinds of ovens, like a convection oven and a steam oven to further enhance their cooking.
- Warming drawers to keep food hot in between cooking it and serving it. They are especially convenient to have if you are cooking multiple rounds of food for a large group of people. An extended family Thanksgiving, anyone?
- More than one (deep!) sink. This way, any chefs (or aspiring chefs!) can easily wash food and dishes in separate locations.
- Large, “pull down” faucet right over the top of the stove. This way, you can fill large pots with water without needing to worry about carrying something that heavy from the sink to the stove.
- At least two full-size dishwashers. This way, you always have access to clean dishes. You don’t have to leave massive piles of cookware sitting around while you wait for the dishwasher.
- Silverware organizers, convenient places to hang pots and pans, and well as a chic knife block or board. This way, everything is always easy to find. You don’t have time to search high and low for what you need – you have food to cook!
These are just a few of the basic inclusions in a chef’s kitchen layout.
If you are interested in purchasing a home with a chef’s kitchen, it should have at least 75% of the above. The same goes if you are interested in installing a chef’s kitchen into your current home.
You can still have a functional kitchen without these kitchen accessories. However, it is in your best interested to ensure you can include as many of the above items as you can.
Who really needs a chef’s kitchen?
You do not need to be a professional chef to justify the inclusion of a chef’s kitchen in your home. However, if you do own a catering or food service business, there could be some serious benefits (and possible tax deductions!) from having one.
However, if you enjoy pushing culinary boundaries, have a large family, or consistently prepare large, intricate meals (perhaps for a religious or charity organization), then having a chef’s kitchen in your home could make things significantly easier for you.
How much does a chef’s kitchen cost?
The cost of a chef’s kitchen varies widely!
The base price really depends on what inclusions your current kitchen already has when you want to make the upgrade. However, many home improvement experts agree that a typical remodel could cost anywhere from $50,000 to $100,000. Usually, the cost of the appliances makes up the majority of these costs. You have to pay for quality!
However, major kitchen remodels like this generally give a return on investment of up to 65%. So, if you are interested in purchasing a home with a chef’s kitchen in it, that figure should also give you a pretty good idea on what you can expect to pay for the luxury of its inclusion as well.
‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧
Looking for a home with a chef’s kitchen? The team at Clever is here to help! Our expert agents know exactly what to look for – at the right price. Call us today at 1-833-2-CLEVER or fill out our online form to get started.